Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
somae_gw

viewing roots

somae
12 years ago

I've been having fairly good success at rooting rose cuttings using the newspaper/paper wrapping method. After potting, 2 of the cuttings have now grown leaves.

3 others haven't sent out any leaves yet. I'd like to be able to view the roots.

Looking for suggestions on the best type of pot for root viewing.

Thanks.

Comments (8)

• roseseek
    12 years ago

What do you have them potted in now? I use the 16 oz. foam cups. To see what kind of root action is occurring, I simply place the cutting between my fingers, invert the cup and gently tap out the soil ball. Using the type of potting soil I use, it simply plops out in one piece, allowing me to see what I want to see. Then, I slip the cup back over the soil ball and turn it back right side up. Works like a charm. Kim

• somae
    Original Author
    12 years ago

They're in 8 oz. foam cups. I put them in the cups around the 5th of December. They had been in moist paper towels for about 3 weeks before that and all had small root growths.

• somae
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I took one out of the foam cup that hasn't put out leaves yet. It's got a real long root that's growing between the peat moss and the styrofoam (for some reason.)

• roseseek
    12 years ago

The roots start spreading out rather quickly to anchor the plant and begin "foraging" for food. The sides of the cup, even though insulated, are generally warmer and that helps "attract" the roots, too, which is why they're growing down the sides of the cup. As long as you gently tip the soil ball out without disturbing it, loosening the soil or breaking it up, you can do this repeatedly, allowing you to determine when they'll need potting up further. Kim

• somae
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I was wondering why there are no leaves in spite of having at least one 4 inch root. The 2 cuttings that have put out leaves were the thicker ones. Is there anything that can be done, or do I need to just wait? Thanks for your input.

• roseseek
    12 years ago

Just wait. The plant knows best. It isn't going to put them out until there are enough roots to support them. The thicker ones may have more stored nutrients, so are more able to support the foliage. You're welcome! Kim

• sengyan
    12 years ago

I use clear plastic cups and I see the roots easily. The cutting is easily removed and more potting medium added to the bottom.
    Sengyan

• pointsevenout
    12 years ago

Cut a soda pop bottle, 2 or 3 liter, in half around the equator. Cut some small holes in the neck of the bottle. Cut a hole in the sidewall of the bottom of the bottle. Loop some poly or cotton cord in the neck of the bottle to be used as a wick. Turn the top of the bottle upside down into the bottom of the bottle. Add a loose growing medium and your plant but firmly pack the medium in the neck of the bottle around the wick. Preferably a 50% mix of potting mix and pearlite to let water wick up and keep the growing medium evenly moist. Water through the hole in the sidewall of the bottom of the bottom, now a converted planter. This set up will allow you to see root growth and it waters from the bottom.