Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melindatx_gw

will a single store bought rose grow?

melindatx
18 years ago

this forum is so interseting. I was wondering since I never get bouquets..can I go buy a couple of roses from Wal-mart or the grocery store and get them to reproduce? I love trying new things ! I have about 6 pineapple plants that I did as an experiment but the freeze took them so I am looking for ways to fill my pots back up,lol Ohh and where would I buy that take root stuff from?

Comments (38)

• debbysunshine
    18 years ago

A lot of times groweres put a wax on their roses so they will last longer in a vase I've tried and lost. You might have a better chance getting a cutting from a florist or the best would be from a neighbor.. When a plant has just bloomed the hormones are at their best and the plant will usually take off If You Are Lucky ! I like Greenlite growing hormone the best from a garden store and the potting soill shouldn't have any vitamins. I've been mixing Cactus Soil and potting soil both from Supersoil because it is the cleanest for me without lots of additives with added perlite.. When you get a bouquet put them in a vase with some lemon juice and sugar and you might see growth. I've had cuttings in water for a month but they won't get roots in water.. Ese a very small amount of Rootone on a freshly cut stem a pencil thich or greater..

• melindatx
    Original Author
    18 years ago

ok thanks, I may go out and buy myself a bouquet just to experiment,lol

• gypsygirl_ky
    18 years ago

It depends on the type of rose too, from what I have heard. Some will root more readily than others. Use a liquid rooting hormone, it is absorbed easier by the rose.Good luck.

• sunlight2231960
    18 years ago

I have been trying to figure out the samething I have asked a lot of people and they have told me that it might root but it woldn't last in the ground. I have never heard about putting lemon juice in the water. Has anyone heard of or tried using willow tree juice (made by put willow branches in hot water) if so do you think that will work with growing these roses? I was also wondering if you could hip roses that have been bought at a store or do they have to be an the bush. If so can you just take the pollen off the rose bought at hte store and put in on a rose on a bush?

• sunlight2231960
    18 years ago

Hey Mgleason56,

I was woundering what is that coconut coir thing you planted your store bought roses in? I haven't heard of it before and what does it do? thanks Melissa

• mgleason56
    18 years ago

sunlight2231960,
    May I just call you sunlight?

Coconut coir comes from the coconut's fibrous husk (known as coir) that is bound together by lignin (known as pith). After the husk is immersed in water for 6 weeks, the fiber is extracted mechanically, and the pith is left behind as a waste product and stored in heaps to age. Since the pith comes from a fruit, it is naturally rich in nutrients.
    Coco-growing mediums are dehydrated and compressed into a compact form for easy handling (usually in "brick" form 8" X 4" X 2"). With the addition of water, coir expands to an "easy-to-work-with" growing medium. The addition of water increases the volume 5 to 9 times, depending on the packaged size of the products. This process results in a 100% organic, biodegradable growing medium.
    Don't know where you live, but chances are you can go to your local hydroponics store to purchase this. I get mine for about $3 per brick. Note of warning: Do not purchase from a pet store, as this coir contains (usually) too much salt. If you give me the city you reside in, I will let you know if it is available near you. You can also purchase for delivery, but shipping is pretty high.

• sunlight2231960
    18 years ago

Mgleason,

Yes you can call me sunlight or you can call me Melissa which ever works. Can I call you 56? I live in Denver, Iowa close to Waterloo. Can you explain alittle bit about how to use this please thanks? I was also woundering if you knew when would be a good time to start to grow store bought long stemmed roses? Thanks for helping me. Sorry I have another question would Denver Iowa be zone 4 or 5 I thought it was 5 but I heard it was 4? thanks again.

Melissa

• tcmers
    18 years ago

This is a very interesting thread. I'm not new to growing roses, but am very new to propagating them. I tried a few cuttings last summer and lost them. I find it very interesting that you can use a rose from the florist for propagation. Certainly I should be able to use a fresh cutting and be successful. Could you point us to the rooting method that George mander has posted? You said he has posted it numerous times. I'd be very interested in trying it. Thanks!

• jannie
    18 years ago

I have had about 25 % success with rooting cuttings. However, I received a bouquet of 24 yellow florist roses that were magnificent. Stuck some in my rose bed and 100 % failure! Just my experience.

• Vangy
    18 years ago

In November,I posted I had taken dormant 2 kinds of rose bush cuttings, and they were rooting. I used a rooting powder and a liquid, seperataly. The first ones to root are potted up and growing on south window ledge. The other ones have not been potted up, several have a nice supply of roots in west window. Check the thread, I think someone posted having rooted florist roses.
    I have house plant begonia, honeysuckle, and corkscrew tree rooted also. I have lots of beautiful violets from cuttings too.

Vangy likes to play in the dirt, & propagates too

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    18 years ago

Here is a link to the thread where George Mander talks about his rooting method: Check out this link for rooting cuttings !!!.

Sometimes the roses from the florist are treated with a preservative to help them last longer during shipping, storage, etc. That can prevent them from rooting.

• melindatx
    Original Author
    18 years ago

thanks for all the great replies. I have a Mister Lincoln that is starting to bloom from bare root so I will be trying the rooting method.I live in Texas and would like to know if that cocnut coir is avaliable here.You have to have an actual stem before trying to propagate right? Thanks for the helpful link also.Lots of good info.

• mgleason56
    18 years ago

Melinda,
    Make sure you have a few leaf sets on the cutting you take. If you tell me where in TX you are, I can probably find if there is a source for coir around you.

• melindatx
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I am in Temple. and I am going to have to wait awhile because my plant was a bare root and the stems are not fully developed yet.They are in that stage where they are a dark maroon color and very small.thanks again for posting your replies and method.It sounds easy but I hope it will work for me,lol

• mgleason56
    18 years ago

Melinda,

When you are ready, check out this place. It is about 58 miles from you, but was the closest. They have it in stock right now.
    Texas Hydroponics & Organics LLC
    5535 Burnet Road, Austin, TX 78756
    (512) 459-4769

• madspinner
    18 years ago

I rooted a rose from a vase at work last year. However, I don't know where the rose came from. It could have been from a co worker's garden as easily as from a florist.

It is obviously a modern rose, as it is a rather bright salmony pink... but it has a more old fashioned flower shape. Definately does not have HT flower form.

I'm a lazy rooter.... I just take the cutting, score the bottom "skin", dip in powdered rooting hormone (although I do without it in a pinch) and stick it in a gallon pot of sandy garden topsoil I bought for my raised garden beds. I'd use my own soil, but mine is heavy clay and didn't work well the first year I tried it.

The first year I tried rooting roses I had near total failure. I only ended up with two living plants out of many tries.

This last year was my second year. I made a lot of changes and improvements, such as changing dirt, and only using plastic pots. That year I had what I estimate about 50% sucess. I put two cuttings of each rose per pot. I had very few pots where no cuttings survived, several where both survived, and the rest have at least one living rooted rose cutting. It was certainly a big improvement. I keep them outdoors, only water once a day when it is dry out, and keep them where they get some shade at the hottest part of the day.

With some cuttings I took this last fall, I had about 90% sucess rate! I'm feeling pretty good about that.

I have high hopes that this next spring and summer will be even better!

Don't be discouraged by early failure.

• patsy_b
    18 years ago

melindatx Omas Nursery in Killeen had large bags of choir last fall. I am sure she probably still does. She is going all organic and has alot of natives. She is selling this instead of peat. Alot closer than Austin. Not sure if this is different from the bricks but I plan on using it in my next rooting attempts.
    Patsy

• ranjana
    17 years ago

Hi, I am in cranberry township, PA. Can anybody tell me where to obtan the choir from,
    thanks in advance,
    Ranjana

• aliska12000
    17 years ago

Davenport, Iowa or Rock Island or Moline, Illinois for coir?

I asked at several places, most people don't even know what it is. I bought a bag at a nursery, but it is the kind you line planters with and is not good at all. I tried to cut it up. It was hard and not making anything I'd want to root in. I tried running it through the coarse blade on my meat grinder. It stuck. You can't say I didn't try, but then I saw a picture of some on the net and it looked granular and nice for rooting.

So there must be a difference in the kind your should buy.

• mgleason56
    17 years ago

Aliska,
    Try this;
    Michelles I G S
    1312 John Deere Expressway, Silvis, IL 61282
    (309) 792-5666

ranjana,
    What city is by Cranberry Township?

• aliska12000
    17 years ago

I tried the number both ways, and it is not in service or has been disconnected. It is still listed in the phone book. I looked under Hydroponics, nothing. Called a couple more places, either don't have or the liner kind.

Thank you for trying.

There is a place on the web you can order it, but I'm going to wait until I'm serious about lots of cuttings. It comes in 3 pack for $6.95, 6 pack for $12.95 and sale 24 brick case for $44.95. They also recommend Olivias Cloning Solution at $12.95. Ebay also has various kinds at various prices and shipping, don't think I'll do that. Oh me.

Here is a link that might be useful: FUTUREGARDEN Ultracoir Horticultural Coconut Coir

• mgleason56
    17 years ago

The problem with buying mail order is the cost to ship is about the cost of the product. How about checking with a local pet store? Sometimes they sell it as reptile bedding I think.

• mgleason56
    17 years ago

GEEZ! I am wrong, I believe on the above post. That is alfalfa cubes. See what happens when, at my age, I stay up to late at a rave?

Here is a link that might be useful: Rave News

• ranjana
    17 years ago

Hi mgleason56,
    Cranberry twp is adjacent to pittsburgh, pensylvania.
    Ranjana

• mgleason56
    17 years ago

ranjana,
    Try these;

Full Bloom Hydroponics
    84 South 24 St, Pittsburgh, PA 15203
    (412) 488-7778
    Home Hydroponics Of Pitt
    4312 Butler Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15201
    (412) 621-0400

• ranjana
    17 years ago

Thanks mgleason56,
    I`ll try these stores.
    Ranjana

• aliska12000
    17 years ago

If those don't work, see if you can find a Petco. They call it ecoearth, and the first time I called them they were clueless. A couple weeks later I called again, and after I told them is was for reptile cages, they referred me to the reptile department.

It comes in brick form, expands when you wet it, and gets real crumbly. $4.99.

Petco may be closer if you have one. I'd call first.

• rite2u
    17 years ago

Hi all...I wanted to post to let you know that I read this post and decided to try an experiment with a bouquet of roses my boyfriend sent to me for my birthday. They were FTD roses...really gorgeous....
    I took 5 of them and followed the steps that I read on GW from several postings:
    I put the roses in water (rainwater captured in a little plastic back yard swimming pool) and cut them under water. I trimmed the bottom inch off of the stem, then cut the actual bud off with about 2 inches of stem left on that and 2 sets of leaves on the main stem. Then I cut about a 6-7-inch long section (cutting on a slant while holding it under water) so there were 2 sections left. I then dipped the bottom end of the cutting in Rootone, shook it off and pushed it into a gallon pot filled with sand from my yard. I watered generously, misted the stems and leaves daily with purified water or rainwater plus we had rain here for several days. And one week later I have new sprouts on one of the leafless bottom sections.
    I was surprised and pleased to see it so quickly. I cut 4 roses like this; a 5th rose, I cut the same way, but instead placed it into a gallon ziploc bag with moist sand -- plunging the bottom ends coated with Rootone into the sand. I put it in the window sill in my kitchen, which faces north. I can't tell if any roots are sprouting yet, but it hasn't died.
    I don't know the names of any of these roses: they are white, pink, a bi-color pink and red and yellow.
    So, I'm going to keep them in the pots for several more weeks to see how much roots will grow.

Here are the pictures:

Rite

• elks
    17 years ago

The prices aren't listed, but here's a distrubutor.
    Steve.

Here is a link that might be useful: COCOCHOICE

• kbilby
    17 years ago

I started a bush from my husband's casket spray. To do this, I stuck the stem of the rose in the ground with the node a little below the surface. Filled a quart mason jar with warm water then turned the jar upside down over the stem. If you decide to do it this way don't touch the jar until after the last frost in the spring.

I was a little concerned that it wouldn't work because I started it in March of 2005, and I've never been able to grow anything. But it did. I provided a picture of a bouquet I cut on Saturday.

Last fall I "made" 6 new bushes from one that I paid $30 for. This year I have another 12 from my first attempt. My mother has been doing this for as long as I can remember and her yard is full of roses. But she can open her door, throw seeds, stems and petals out and get beautiful flowers every time.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• maxineiniowa
    17 years ago

very pretty, I love your pineapple doily on the table also!!

• guitargurl361_hotmail_com
    16 years ago

I've had three store bought roses sprout branches, leaves, thorns, and rose buds. Two of them an now ex-boyfriend gave me. The third is currently sprouting. It already has leaves and thorns. We didn't put anything in the vase except water and the packet they gave us at the store. They grew in the water. Two of the roses weren't even by a window. They were sitting on a bookshelf in a vase, not even by a window. The rose was dead but it kept sprouting new branches, leaves, thorns, buds you name it. A couple of the buds even bloomed. And they never even grew roots. when i let my black-thumbed mother try to use rooting hormone on them and re-plant them is when they died. Needless to say, my mother's not getting anywhere near this one. My grandmother once told me that this will only happen when the person giving the flower truly loves the person they're giving it to, will that happen. These roses, we picked out for our dog who died. We were so upset when we bought them they died the next day. We kept them in the vase for over 2 weeks, letting them dry out so we could sprinkle the petals on her grave. When we checked them, they had sprouted branches with leaves and thorns.

here it is:

• User
    16 years ago

Okay, so has anyone got the roses growing in water to root and pot up? Mine are the same as pictured above.

• dmaivn
    16 years ago

Roses from stores can sprout if they are locally grown and fresh. But it's hard to get them to root unless you get the really long stem ones (70cm or longer) then cut the 20cm at the base. It's much more mature down at the bottom. As roses root after growing new leaves, the canes need enough reserved energy to last for a few weeks.

The only consistent way to save a cut rose from shops is to learn budding. It's a grafting skill. You just take a leaf bud and graft it on any rose you have in the garden. I find Iceberg the greatest host to accept all roses. You can save a florist rose on an Iceberg host then root the Iceberg stem later with very high success rate.

It might sound daunting to think about budding, but it's not that hard. It just need a bit of practice. Once you know how to do it, it's a skill for life. You only need to know how to do T budding or patch budding. For more information just google "rose propagation" to look for by rose propagation guide. It should get beginners on the right track.

• jenn_aslesen
    11 years ago

I got a dozen long stemmed roses from my fiance a couple months ago that i put them in a vase in the window with water and half of the little flower food bag that normally comes with store bought bouquets. A week later i replaced the water and added the remaining flower food. After 2 weeks i noticed new growth on ten of the 12 roses. I didn't add rooting hormone just put the in soil, & the are still Growing strong guess i must have got lucky!!!

• Saurabh25
    11 years ago

Am gonna try this for my own self lets see what results i get, will let you know !

• akito
    11 years ago

I got a rose for valentines day, and I cut it and put it in a small vase with water. It's been a week, and I noticed a small cluster of tiny leaves sprouting from where bigger leaves and the stem meet.. I'm very fascinated with this and I was wondering if there was any way I could get this to grow in some way? ? I don't have any gardening experience or anything xD any help would be appreciated..

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz