Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
merrybookwyrm

cuttings- confused, n texas USA, now & 1 month+

merrybookwyrm
12 years ago

Being a total newb, I've confused myself about making rose cuttings. A kind person is going to let me have cuttings when they prune their roses mid to late February. Mid to late February is about six weeks prior to late average freeze date in a normal year. This year, who knows? The whole winter has been warmer.

I thought I'd better practice before putting inexperienced mitts on her cuttings. The practice rose will be a Duchesse de Brabant, it being the only rose possible. It has lots of green leaves but is not actively blooming. Two days ago, I took cuttings from under spent blooms, put them in 12 oz plastic cups with drainage holes in potting soil inside gallon ziplock baggies, watered them with roots stimulator, and put them in a southern window that stays about 74F. The baggies have been totally closed, and water condenses inside them in the day.

After reading here (again), I thought "eek, air exchange!" and cracked the ziplocks open. Should this have been done, or should the ziplocks have been left shut? Should the cuttings have two four foot fluorescent shoplights turned on over them? Should these green colored wood cuttings have been done with the burrito method, since it has been 'winter'? Should this same setup be used in February?

Any suggestions will be gratefully accepted.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations