Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I take some cuttings now?

Posted by barb_roselover_in 5a (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 18, 07 at 22:10

Can I get some rose cuttings and bury them in soil and expect them to sprout roots by Spring? I have never done this in the winter but wonder about burying the hardwood dormant cuttings. Anybody try this? I have had pretty good luck with rooting Abe Darby and Hot Cocoa. Thanks- Barb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I take some cuttings now?

Yes Barb. You can definitely do this, the perfect time to do hadwood cuttings. I just take the cutting, shave off about 3/4 inch of bottom outside outer layer, then dip in rooting hormone, and take a pencil, make a hole and in goes the cutting. I put them right under the mother bush so I know what rose it is. I've had anywhere from 25-10% success with this, so I usually do 4 cuttings and will wind up with at least 1 that takes off come spring. Some I notice grow very slowly on their own roots (peace, zepherine drouhin) but others like cornelia grew gangbusters from spring till fall.

Do you actually bury the whole cutting? I just put mine into ground about 2=2 1/2 inches.

Maureen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here