Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shanti33k

Rose Propagation..Extra Rooting Hormone? Good or Bad?

Sean
12 years ago

Hello All!

I had taken some cuttings about 3 weeks ago from a rose plant. I dipped the ends of my cuttings in dip n' grow rooting hormone and put them in 50/50 perlite/moss. Today i took most of them out of the soil to check how they were doing. Most of them had calloused already, so i thought that if i dipped them in some extra rooting powder (i used Green Light Rooting powder) it will give it an extra push to develop more roots. Did i hurt my cuttings or is that a good idea?

Also, should i take off the plastic bag that i am using to cover the container with my cuttings to ensure moisture, or should i take it off and let it acclamate to the regular temperature outside?

Thanks you!!

Comments (3)

• roseseek
    12 years ago

Well, first thing is, as long as the cuttings appear to be living, leave them alone! Do not take them out to "check" for roots or callus. You'll disturb any growth and actually prevent them from succeeding if you've disturbed them too much.

You don't need more hormone. If they are callused that quickly, they should continue growing unless you've interrupted them enough to cause them to fail.

Personally, I wouldn't remove the plastic bags until you see evidence of new top growth and you've been able to determine there are roots. If you can plant them individually in smaller pots and still keep them covered and appropriately watered, it will make it easier to check for roots without having to pull them up. You can easily tilt out a small root ball to check for root growth then put it back without interrupting the development.

Once you are sure there are roots and there is some top growth beginning, you may begin exposing them to increasingly greater out door elements. You don't want to just rip the bag off and let them fend for themselves as the growth which has developed inside the bags is softer than it would be had it grown out in the usual elements. Hardening them off is a gradual process. You give them a little more outside elements and less "greenhouse" type, increasing that gradually until they are fully uncovered. If you're in a rainy period, you can safely remove the bags from fully rooted cuttings and they will usually harden off just fine. But, fully exposing newly rooted cuttings to harsher conditions out of the plastic bags in one step is like you being inside all winter then jumping right in to summer without any getting used to the increased heat and sun. You both will fry. Kim

• Sean
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kim,

Thank you so much for the quick response. I hope I didn't harm the cuttings that had calloused already. These cuttings were given to me by a famous rose garden in my area. I will re-cover the cuttings with their bag.

Thank you so much. I am sitting on pins and needles now anxiously waiting to see if I killed my cuttings.

-sean

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

Sean, when you stick your cuttings use clear plastic cups (punch a hole in the bottom for drainage) so you can see when there are roots without disturbing them in anyway. This is what I've been doing and it's worked very well for me. By the time there are sufficient roots to see on the sides or bottom of the cups the plants are fairly well established and you can pot them carefully up.