Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselover_5b

Pictures of a seedling

roselover_5b
18 years ago

This Graham Thomas seedling is several months old. It germinated at an odd time because I didn't begin stratifying the seeds until late June 2005. The hip sat in a baggie for about 8 months until I thought, "hey, I really ought to do something with that." Anyway, in October it started growing and here is its second bloom. Its first bloom was white, so I was very surprised when this one came along:

Here's the bud

{{gwi:1235913}}

Here's the bloom open:

{{gwi:1235915}}

And here's a profile of the bloom:

{{gwi:1235917}}

This bloom had a nice smell to it, too. My nose isn't generally real sensitive to rose smells, so I'm wondering if other noses would find this to be strongly scented. I should add that these pictures make the bloom appear more strongly orange than it really was. And it quickly mellowed to a primarily yellow color.

As roses go, this one is nothing special overall. But it's my first bloom of this season and it's tiding me over while my 2005 seedlings are growing large enough to bloom.

Alicia

Comments (5)

• Vangy
    18 years ago

CONGRATULATIONS!!! is this an old rose or a hybrid? I have propagated roses by cutting into the stem and putting them in dirt weighted down over winter or early spring through summer. That is how I got my first roses.
    I am having my first sucess w/ cuttings root for me now. I learned from a friend who is 88 how to do it by having a "tail". Gently pull the "cutting" down and pull a "tail" w/ it, maybe 1/2"-3/4" long. The "tail" being the outer layer of "skin" from the stem.
    She rooted a "cutting" from a boquet of roses I gave her in November in water. They had no rootone 65+ years ago when she helped her father on the farm w/ grafting.
    I like propagating plants and watchng them grow. Some of us have "unusual" methods according to the books, but we get results, at least part of the time.

Vangy likes to play in the dirt LOL

• roselover_5b
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Vangy, I'm envious of you and all the others who are able to root plants. So far I have a 100% failure record! My husband has promised to (finally) build a misting table for me this year. I've been wanting one for 3 years now. Anyway, I'm pinning my hopes of rooting success on that. I may try your layering approach on some Graham Thomas roses this summer. They have such long, flexible canes. I was planning to peg them anyway, so I might as well try to layer a few while I'm at it! I also want to try air layering sometime. I hear it's difficult, but I'd still like to try it just for the experience.

This seedling is from Graham Thomas, a David Austin rose. It's a definite modern hybrid! From what George Mander says, I can expect this to end up with 30-35 petals (twice as many as it has now). That should be interesting. At least it's nicely fragrant!

Alicia

• the_dark_lady
    18 years ago

RoseLover, you should not be envious of anybody, you should be proud of yourself. You seedling is a beauty! Rooting cuttings is nothing compared to growing roses from seeds (excitement wise).
    Keep us posted about the development of your baby. It's presious.
    When you root cuttings, you know what to expect. Growing roses from seeds is another world. Go for it!!! Good luck!!!

• gerry_wyomingpa
    18 years ago

I love the color of it...hope it continues to do well for you...

Gerry

• alicia7b
    18 years ago

It's beautiful. Fragrant too, how lovely!

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz