Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
george_mander

Potting up 'NEW' own root and/or budded roses.

george_mander
18 years ago

Potting up "NEW" own root & budded plants.

Putting new own root minis into pots and gradually moving them up is what most rosarians up here in Canada are doing.

When I buy minis in 3 1/2 " pots (or bands) I always put mine into 1 gall. pots first and 4 to 5 months later they go into 2 gall. pots. Then, by late fall or next spring the roses can go into the ground, unless you want to keep them in pots.

Remember, if there are lots of roots going around in circles at the bott. when moving them up I always take a large steak knife and cut a 1/2 inch off across the bott. It will make new fine hair roots faster that way.

I compared those going right into the ground with the ones going into pots first. Those started in pots were 2 to 3 times larger after the first season. It may be alright way down south where it never gets really cold, but our ground never warms up until May.

Budded mini roses would also take off much faster, but should be going into 3 to 5 gall. pots right away. It all depends how big those plants are. It's up to you if you put them into the ground right away or not. I am sure you will notice a difference after one season in pots, especially the own root plants.

George Mander

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose of Excellence

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor