Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
somae_gw

when to transplant

somae
12 years ago

I was able to get good results with wrapping the rose cuttings in damp paper towels and wrapping in a plastic bag. All but 1 put out roots. I then planted them in 8 oz. styrofoam cups in peat moss. 2 of those have now put out leaves. They all have at least 1 fairly long root (4 in.).

I'm wondering when to transplant them into potting soil.

Thanks.

Comments (4)

• roseseek
    12 years ago

Congratulations! I'm happy it's working well for you! I pot mine directly from the wraps into potting soil. If they're putting out more than a single root or two, you should be able to pot them into potting soil.

I initially put mine in the 16 oz. cups deeply, with the cutting bottoms about an inch to an inch and a half from the bottom of the cups so I can tell when they have root formation. That can be fairly fast to a few weeks, during which time they harden off more than they were in the paper. As I see more roots coming to the bottom of the cup, I tilt out the soil ball, put more soil in the cup bottom, up to about half the depth, then put the soil ball back in and gently pull the soil from around the cutting to fill the cup, gently firming it in around the remaining root ball. I'll let them develop that way until the roots are filling the cup bottoms again, when I'll transplant them to a gallon size can. I don't base my transplanting on leaf formation because many can push leaves even though they don't have roots at all. If I see roots, I know they're becoming self sufficient and can handle being transplanted.

I don't use peat moss here because it tends to remain too wet for me and dries out quite quickly when the heat hits. Using the potting soil has given me the most consistent performance and I can more easily keep them at the right moisture level. Transplanting is easier, too, because I'm using the same medium for all steps. Hope it helps. Kim

• somae
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks. I did notice that the peat dries out pretty fast. I was wondering how you water them?

• somae
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thought to send along a picture of the sprouting ones.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• roseseek
    12 years ago

That's impressive growth, congratulations! Mine, being outdoors in part day sun, are easy to water. I put a rain nozzle from a water wand on the end of the hose and gently "rain" on them. It hydrates the canes and thoroughly waters the potting soil. It works here with the way I do them. I just try to keep it was cost effective and simple as possible so it's fun, rather than "work". Kim

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!