Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Late start dormant cuttings

Posted by gerry_wyomingpa z6 NEPA (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 15, 06 at 8:58

I am getting a very late start on some dormant cuttings, but with the weather we have had, I do not think it is out of the question for it to work (I hope).

My question is, with the snow we may or may not get for the rest of the winter, as well as the spring rains, 'should' it be safe to use potting soil that has quick release and timed release fertiliser in it? I am think that the strength should be washed mostly out of it so that by the time roots form, it would be very mild.

If this does not seem like it would work, I could go out and get more, it is just that I have a partial bag of this and was thinking this would be a good way to use it up.

TIA for any suggestions.

Gerry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Late start dormant cuttings

I'm not in dormant territory but this winter have been rooting R. fortuniana cuttings in Sta Green potting soil with some fert. in it. I just poked a big hole in the middle of 1 pint pots full of the potting soil and put sharp sand in the middle to stick the cuttings. Working great. When I put coir into the bottom of plastic cups to keep the sand from running out the drain holes like an hour glass, it seemed that the roots all grew into the coir and not the sand. So I used left over potting soil and it works. Someone says that the fert doesn't work till it warms up so I can't say anything about that, but I will stick with this setup. It has been warm here this winter more than most.I cover the pint pots with cutoff two liter coke bottles.

o

Woodroid,

Thanks for the info. I was thinking it should work, as I mentioned the fert. should be pretty diluted by the time the roots form and then they would not burn (hopefully). I did not use sand at all, I just stuck them into the potting soil, they will be in a protected area, so I am hoping that the drainage will not be a problem. Well, nothing ventured, nothing gained!

o

Hi Gerry, how did you make out with these cuttings?

Maureen

o

Maureen,

Got quite a few to root with that, I am finding that reusing old potting mix, that from the annuals and such that were potted in the summer seems pretty good too, guess we will know that come next spring.

Gerry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here