Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bgrose_gw

Cuttings trade between countries possible?

bgrose
16 years ago

Is it possible to trade cuttings between two countries? I think it is formally illegal, or not?

Comments (8)

• bgrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I mean by post.

• kenny_bln
    16 years ago

Hello bgrose
    You all joined the EU in January, so in all the EU countries it should be no problem .

Kenny

• bgrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Kenny, though I do not live in EU now because I moved a few years ago to Japan. I know that it is forbidden to carry plants in my suitcase when I travel from my country to Japan. I mean if the customs find them, they will take the plants away, though in my case they never discovered the plants I carried.

• lookin4you2xist
    16 years ago

It is my understanding that the usa can ...usually do it unless its australlia ,new zealand, I am missing a country ? and Ca to Fl (vice versa) "shouldn't be done"

• triple_b
    16 years ago

by that you mean Canada and Florida? That is too bad about Canada and US. I cannot get the rose Quietness up here anywhere.

• bamabutterfly
    16 years ago

Does that mean that US companies can't ship to BC? I'm sure you've looked on HelpMeFind, and they list a nursery in Michigan that offers Quietness, but if they can't ship that is a problem.....its a lovely rose, by the way

• triple_b
    16 years ago

I have looked and looked and have not found any Canadian source for it nor will any company ship it to Canada. There are a few Canadian companies who will ship down there but not the other way around. Probably has to do with disease control. South of us has rose diseases that we yet don't have I think.

• well_rooted
    15 years ago

If it appears that plants and cuttings cannot be shipped to Canada from the US it is because the company you are trying to order from does not want to be bothered to go to the trouble of getting a Phytosanitary Certificate. To obtain the Certificate a nursery must prepare an application form, then a government inspector must go to the nursery and inspect the plants about to be exported. Unless a nursery is shipping regularly across the border it is not worth their while.

In the US I understand that different States charge different amounts for the Phyto. So sometimes a US nursery will charge $50 for the Certificate. In Canada the cost of the Phyto is $12, and is the same all across the country. A nursery has the right to add on some costs for their time and trouble.

Its a big nuisance. I work for a nursery that ships to the US all the time. We also do some importing and the US just this year has something new. An inspector goes to the nursery and does a thorough check of the plants and give the nursery a certicate good for one month.

I took have been looking for Quietness. So many people sing its praises!!

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor