Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
the_dark_lady

A few 2014 seedlings in bloom

the_dark_lady
10 years ago

Please take a look at some 2014 seedlings in bloom.

This one is an OP 'Gertrude Jekyll' seedling. Strong sweet fragrance, very prolific bloomer, completely thornless.

This is my favorite seedling - from 'Clarence House' - very bushy, fragrant. With plump round flower buds that come in threes. Very full rosette shaped flowers with button eye.

And this one if from 'Rosanna'. I love the delicate color and thin daisy-like petals

Comments (11)

• remy101
    10 years ago

All the seedling are so beautiful.how old are they? Do you collect your own seeds? Are they open polinated or hybirdize?
    Thank you

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you very much, Remy!
    I started all the seedlings around November -December 2013.
    Yes, I collect my own seeds and they are OPs, I do not do any crosses myself - I grow roses from seeds every winter just for fun and enjoyment :)

If you are interested, you can see my seedlings from different years in my Photobucket albums

Marina

Here is a link that might be useful: Roses from seeds @ Photobucket

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    10 years ago

New seedling opened a lovely bloom this morning. Actually it is a cluster of six buds on this branch. Strong spicy fragrance is a bonus. Lovely color, too.

This post was edited by the_dark_lady on Sat, Mar 1, 14 at 6:18

• remy101
    10 years ago

They are all so beautiful .I have a question if they are open pollinated how come few of them are double color ? Is the mother plant also double color? I also grew rose seedling first time this year however none of them open their bloom yet .I collect my seeds some are from trade ,also bought some .

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Marina, they're wonderful! I never get such variety on mine. So many different colors and so many petals! Mine are 99% five petaled pinks, lol.

• Glenburn
    10 years ago

Marina, your post dated "Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 11:24" has a lovely rose in it. I am interested in the foliage, it's a fantastic combination of green leaf and red tinged edges, could you name the rose please.

Regards David.

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    10 years ago

David, the foliage does not belong to the bloom! :) It is from the the other seedling next to it - seedling from Ghislaine de Feligonde.
    And I don't know the parentage of the blooming seedling from the photo of Feb. 28th.

• Alana8aSC
    10 years ago

Your seedlings are beautiful!! Any tips to share? how do you do yours? I tried this past winter but so far nothing has come up, what kind of mix do you use? Tell me everything please!! Do you keep all of your seedlings? How are the ones from previous years? So many questions I'm sorry, but would love to know!

This post was edited by Alana7bSC on Fri, Mar 7, 14 at 8:57

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, Alana.
    If you are looking for information on growing roses from seeds, I would recommend American Rose Hybridizers website. You will find a wealth of useful information on how to grow roses from seeds.
    I use regular MiracleGro potting soil. And no, I don't keep all the seedlings because lots of them are not worth keeping, unfortunately :) Some are too weak, some are not decorative enough, some are prone to disease, some are not performing, etc., etc.
    I do have about a dozen of the 'best' ones from previous years in the garden and they grew nicely to large size bushes. I love them dearly. Yes, they do have their flaws, but they are my babies... Enough said :)
    I wish you a better luck in the future!
    Marina

Here is a link that might be useful: RHA website

• Alana8aSC
    10 years ago

Thanks Marina for the website! I may just have to wait longer for them to pop up! Would love to see pictures of the ones who made the list and you kept! I'm going to keep at mine until I get some beautiful babies like yours!
    Thanks!

I know I enjoy seeing your babies even if some don't make the cut!

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

Oh those are beautiful!!!
    I'm amazed!!
    Like Siel says - I've heard that most seedlings are pink and singles. How lucky that you have such a nice variety!!
    Well done!
    Carol

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus