Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosecorgis

How wet to keep cuttings?

rosecorgis
14 years ago

I've started trying to propagate some old Chinas. I have the cuttings in little see through plastic cups with drainage holes then the cups in a see through plastic bin with cover. The inside of the bin is damp - there's condensation. I open it up once a week to spritz water on the sides of the bin if it's not already damp. I also check the sides and bottoms of the cups for roots. None yet.

My question is how wet should the soil mix in the cups be? Some seem dry to me and I add a little water. Some look green. Do these have too much water? They don't feel soggy.

I feel like I understand the rest of the process but get stuck here. I just can't tell what's right.

They're about 3 weeks old. No roots yet. Growing leaves from all the buds but I know that doesn't really mean anything. I'm hoping that activity above ground means the buds are growing roots below ground.

I really want these to work -- they're Archduke Charles and White Pearl in Red Dragon's Mouth. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Debbie

Comments (3)