Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spider Mites: Swim or Die!

Posted by michelle_co z5 CO (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 1, 07 at 12:25

Don't mind me, I'm just ranting.

I am in the middle of my second SM outbreak in my sunroom (first was early Dec.), I slacked off on running the humidifier and the mites gained a hold. It seems blasting them off in the sink daily wasn't enough to keep them off the undersides of the leaves. Currently am completely dunking each plant daily in a bucket of warm water + a few drops of soap to see if the little witches can float.

The good news is that the fungus gnats have completely succumb to the mosquito dunk product, and it's not a problem to use it daily for maintenance. There's a cheap product called "Mosquito Bits" which comes in a shaker ($11.00, I've not used a quarter of it in a month), and I am shaking a tsp or less of bits into the water daily.

Cheers,
Michelle

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spider Mites: Swim or Die!

Michelle - those spider mites are a pain in the a.... I stopped overwintering my musa zebrina in my living room because it was a magnet to the mites. And roses on the window sill are also a magnet. One of the reasons I love your soda bottle green house for the rose cuttings is that it should keep most of the mites out (unless they sneak in through the holes on the bottom of the soda bottles).
Good luck getting rid of them.

o

Michelle, are there any plants other than roses growing in your sun room? If so, they need to be checked for spider mites too, and treated if necessary so that they don't continually re-infest your baby roses. The blasted little sap suckers aren't host-specific in their choice of victims. Not all plants look nearly as sick as roses do when they're infested, so it's easy to overlook an infestation unless you hunt for it.

o

Thanks - I needed the moral support.

I chucked a couple of older dusty succulents, maybe that will help. They are on high shelves and not watered enough. Hopefully that's part of it.

I also think it's the bright sun on the windowsill. The roses that get the most sun were the worst affected. I closed the curtain near them so only dappled outdoor light comes in (they do have fluorescent, too) and I am spraying the curtain so it radiates moisture during the day.

The other factor is that I started out with small twigs, now I have larger plants and there isn't any space between them. Next year - I will not try so many indoors.

Last, it seems like some plants are more attack-able. The waxiest ones with the thick green leaves seem to take the least damage. One of the landscape shrub roses seems bulletproof.

There seem to be some eggs left on the undersides of the leaves, I can see them with a magnifier. Hopefully if I keep drowning the buggers as they hatch, the problem will resolve in a week or so.

Grumble grumble!

Cheers,
Michelle

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here