Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rebekah_cantlin

Rose tree

Seeingreen
10 years ago

Hi, I'm attempting to propagate a rose tree, I am not entirely sure how to go about this but I have two large straight canes. One is a bit larger about the width of my thumb and the other is a maybe a bit more than pencil size in circumference. I currently have them in a bucket of water and (moo poo tea) and I have wounded them at the base and a number of the buds and thorns around the bottom. I will be planting them soon and I hope to let them establish a root system this year and if they last hopefully grafting on a rose bud to replace the top growth. If anyone has any helpful links or suggestions I would appreciate it. This is simply an experiment for me. I know the roses I have now were not specifically grown for root stock I just thought this might be fun and I haven't been able to find much on the subject. Thanks :D

This post was edited by seeingreen on Mon, Feb 3, 14 at 19:14

Comments (7)

• donaldvancouver
    10 years ago

Hi- I'm trying the same thing. In my climate, multiflora hybrids root in spring by simply sticking them in soil outdoors at this time of year. If you want to see another method, Kim Rupert uses the burrito (wrapping) method for long canes- check his blog Pushing the Rose Envelope.
    If you get roots, you should be able to bud a scion to the top using the t-bud method around August.

• Seeingreen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Donald, this is Laflin by the way :D

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Hi Laflin! Have you de eyed the trunk stocks you wish to root yet? All but eyes except the top two or three need to be removed prior to rooting to prevent suckering. I use a single edged razor blade the shave them off, making sure I get the guard buds (one on each side of the main bud) before propagating the stems. You can either wrap them to precallus them, or plant them as you normally would cuttings. Either way, once they are planted in soil, you need to wrap the cane from ground level to nearly the growth buds on top to keep it from drying out while it roots. You can see how I did it on my blog linked below. I would suggest staking the cuttings when planting to prevent them from rocking in the pots. Any loss of contact with the medium will inhibit root formation.

These are standard trunks I rooted last year. The first two are a seedling of mine I intend to try as a standard stock.

These are Cardinal Hume.

And a Pink Clouds I recently planted. I don't think I shaved deeply enough to eliminate this bud from sprouting, though. I'll have to take care of it when it roots and begins pushing growth to make sure I get it all. I just noticed how decent a shot that is! You can clearly see the main bud as well as the two guard buds on the sides of the main one. This is why pruning off a root stock sucker never works, and why "maidens", the initial growth from a newly budded plant, are pruned back to force the guard buds into growth to produce a multi caned plant instead of a "one cane wonder". I hope it helps and good luck! Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Rooting standard stocks.

• Seeingreen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Kim! I hope my canes do get a chance to root. We had a cold snap here after a long period of spring like weather. ( I had one rose that never went completely dormant) All of my roses were pushing out leaves and now everything has frozen over.... I will be sure to follow your direction. thanks for your time and the effort you put into answering so many rose quandaries :D

Donald I found this video today and thought it might interest you as it did me :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkrVrBfupr8&list=PLR9VbsXY3lLbJ-sTPghdOEyXeYVfafW_a&feature=c4-overview-vl
    I am definitely going with the bud chipping method

This post was edited by seeingreen on Sat, Feb 8, 14 at 3:45

• donaldvancouver
    10 years ago

Hi Lafflin- Thanks for the video link- I hadn't seen that. I used her PDF guide to learn how to do chip budding. Great success.
    With this 4-foot multiflora whip I'm trying to root, I t-budded the scion on it in August, then cut off the whip along with the bud in January. So far it looks good but it likely won't root until spring.

• donaldvancouver
    9 years ago

Lafflin- got your PM but can't reply via email- it says you have chosen not to reveal your email address blah blah. I am always amazed at how GardenWeb is such a piddly forum platform for such an incredibly popular site. Anyway. I'm kind of in the same boat- I have a little growth but not much. I checked my cane in late winter and there was no rooting. I suspect it's trying to root now; otherwise my growth should have died by now. But I won't disturb it to check.

• Seeingreen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah I fixed that, I didn't carefully check all the boxes when I first signed up.
    Anyway thanks for letting me know how the experiment is going...right now my larger cain isn't looking so good with the heat, but as long as there are leaves I'll keep it around.

Sponsored