Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ramblinrosez7b

About your rose seeds....

ramblinrosez7b
15 years ago

Does anyone have some rose seeds germinating yet? I have so far 11 seedlings growing under lights and just found 12 cracked seeds in the frig. I don't know whether to plant these or wait for a longer root, what do all of you do with your cracked seeds with no root showing yet?

Here are the seedlings I have growing so far and please share what you have too.

2 Neptune X Cabana X Peace

1 Gemini X Rainbow Niagara

4 Rt. 66 Seedling X Cabana X Neptune

3 George Burns X OP

1 Pink Striped Seedling X Black Magic X Cabana

Comments (19)

• Joan Dupuis
    15 years ago

Good for you. This is my first try at rose seeds, so I'm not offering help. Just wanted to say I only had 2 varieties (Open pollinated), and have 2 seedlings of Cathy Wade growing in my basement under lights. My guess would be to let a little tail show, but just a guess on my part.

Joan

• ramblinrosez7b
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello Joan, thanks for your response, I like how you put that....LOL! I did plant a few of the cracked seeds and have one poking its head out of the soil and the others I left in the frig to see if they will give me a little more root, its much easier that way and I don't waste a pot and soil. I wish you luck with your new seedlings, post a picture when they bloom, would love to see them.

• lucretia1
    15 years ago

I put my first ever batch of seeds in the fridge in early November. I was disappointed when nothing happened after a couple months, and kept putting them back in their little baggie in the refrigerator door. When I just checked them, a few had roots! (Hansa and Fru Dagmar Hastrup, OP.) I am doing the happy dance and potting them up. I also potted up some of the gallica seeds that haven't split yet, and put the rest back in the fridge to see what happens.

I then went out in the yard to forage for more hips to fill up my pots (using pressed paper egg cartons--I'll be able to cut them apart, slash the bottoms, and plant them intact if the plants get going, but I can't leave any open cells!) Has anyone tried harvesting hips this time of year and just planting them? I've read that the preferred time is in the fall, but I figure the seeds have been surrounded by the moist pulp from the hips, and it's been as cool outside as in the refrigerator, so it doesn't hurt anything to give them a try. Anything that doesn't grow can just get tossed on the compost heap.

• ramblinrosez7b
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi lucretia,

I tried planting rose seeds outside the first year I started doing this and the birds got to them, not a seed left. I was so mad. You could take the seeds out of the frig and let them sit at room temperature for a few days, the fluctuation of temps sometimes makes them germinated faster. I know if I can keep the seeds at a steady temp of 50 deg. to 60 deg. I get many to germinate, some humidity helps too.
    Good Luck with your new seedlings!

• erasmus_gw
    15 years ago

I have four flats of seedling with seeds still sprouting. They aren't dense with seedlings but I have a good many and am excited about the varieties. I still haven't done any crosses so these are all open pollinated. Last year ( first attempt at seeds) I thought all seeds had to germinate in the fridge. From what I've read this year it seems they just need the cold treatment but will germinate well once you take them out of the fridge and plant them.
    I had a lot germinate in the fridge this year. I did two things differently. I harvested them earlier, in September. Also, I kept them in a cool fridge rather than a cold one.

Here are the seed mothers of my babies:

Scepter'd Isle
    Heritage
    Graham Thomas
    Mary Rose
    Geoff Hamilton
    Crimson Glory
    Bonica
    Carefree Beauty
    Betty Boop! yay
    Angel's Camp Tea
    Fourth of July
    Lavaglut
    Autumn Sunset
    Altissimo
    Old Blush not sure these are up yet

Maybe a few others, I don't remember. This is fun! I want to try some crosses this spring.
    Linda

• ramblinrosez7b
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey Linda, how ya doing?

I'm so glad you have some seedlings, and the list of roses you have them from are real nice roses. The first year I started doing this I had all OP seedlings and it gave me good experience for the next year with my crosses, and you are right it is alot of fun! What kind of flats do you use and do you have them under lights? Also how do you have your seeds stored in your refrigerator?

• erasmus_gw
    15 years ago

Hi, I have the shallow rectangular black flats. Probably need to pot some up soon. I have them under lights in an unheated laundry room. I've been taking them outside in nice weather. I've noticed some aphids and don't know what to do about it...spray insecticidal soap or a more diluted strength? Have you had any bugs on yours?

For the cold treatment I put the seeds in damp paper towels, put those in little baggies with the labels and put all my little bags inside of a ziplock storage bag. Since many sprouted in the paper towels, it was a little tricky transplanting them to potting soil. I remember you had said you plant yours in small containers..I can't remember if you said you use sand or potting soil..I think you said sand. I think your method would make transplanting easier but I didn't have a lot of little containers at the time. Might try that next year or just sow them directly in flats in potting soil. I used a special seed starting mix last year and plain old Miracle Grow potting soil this year and have not regretted using plain potting soil. I want to be careful feeding them..I think they need it about now, but last year I think I killed some with too much plant food. What do you use and when?

Linda

• ramblinrosez7b
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I haven't had a bug problem with my seedlings because I keep them covered with a plastic lid, but if I had aphids I probably would just spray them off with purified water or try to squash them with my fingers, I know thats pretty hard to do with seedlings because they are so tiny and tender. I did hear of someone using Safer Insecticidal Soap in a spray bottle, don't know what the results were though. I really wish you luck in this for I know bugs can be a big problem with seedlings.

Yes I do use play sand for storing my seeds in and I use small solo cups with lids. The sand seems to be more sterile and I get less mold. When I pot them up I use Pro Mix. I usually don't feed my seedlings until after they bloom the second time, I take the first bud off before it blooms, then I use Miracle Gro Root Starter, it comes in a liquid.

• erasmus_gw
    15 years ago

Thank you. I was worried about mold last year but Paul Barden says some amount of mold may actually help break down the seed's outer coat.

• harlane1
    15 years ago

I have cl;ose to 2000 seedlings potted up and they are still coming. Took the flats out of the fridge in January. Ramblin where do you live on the Jersey shore?
    Frank B

• ramblinrosez7b
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Frank,

2000?!!?? My goodness that is alot. I live at the very southern tip of NJ, near Cape May.

• erasmus_gw
    15 years ago

Frank, have you ever had an indoor aphid problem? What would you do?
    Thanks, Linda

• tkopari
    15 years ago

Would anyone be willing to direct me to the definitive guide to rose seed germination protocol? I'm going to start some this year, and more in the future when I get my breeding program cranked up (Lord willing).

• harlane1
    15 years ago

Sorry for the late answer, I have been away. I work in a greenhouse so I merely suit up including a respirator and spray with Orthene. It keeps the plants clean for a long time.
    Ramblin you are about an hour and a half from me.
    Tkopari I would recomend the RHA web site. They also sell a great beginners manual.
    Frank B

• tkopari
    15 years ago

Thanks Frank B!

• tkopari
    15 years ago

Frank B,

Actually, I couldn't find anything on the RHA website regarding seed germination. I saw the overview of Rose Breeding. Did I miss it somehow?

Thanks!

Tony

• User
    15 years ago

Tony,
    The RHA sells the booklet, its not available on the web site. See URL below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose Hybridizing booklet.

• ramblinrosez7b
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Tony, I posted a website for you below, I followed it and it helped me alot. When you get to the site just click on the links to the left. Good Luck!

Hi Frank, well how about that, its good to know that there is a well experienced rosarian and excellent rose breeder close by. If I may, could I e-mail you, I have just a few questions to ask you?

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose Hybridizing

• harlane1
    15 years ago

Ramblin
    E-mail me anytime.
    Frank

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor