Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saldut

What temp. for rooting cuttings?

saldut
14 years ago

I have abt. 8 cuttings I am trying to root, in clear plastic tumblers with holes cut in the bottom, in seed-starter-rooting mix, with Rootone on the bottoms, with a clear plastic baggie over the top...I started them 3 days ago..... what is the best temp. to keep them and in how much light ? I have them on a heating-pad set at 70-75 in a fairly dark room, but can set them on a porch with bright light and temp.45-50 to 65-70 if it is better, I am in Central Fla. and that is our outdoor temp. right now, in that range... sure could use some advice on this, have never done this before and I've read several different articles on how to proceed.... Thanks, sally

Comments (15)

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    14 years ago

Your outdoor temperature is a little warmer than ours as we seldom get over sixty here in the shade. My cuttings are doing well outdoors in the shade with little to no protection overnight with no bottom heat. Our humidity with the cool rain of this time of year stays around 80 to 100 percent and I do not need to tent the cuttings. It is important that the mix is of large particles that will allow maximum air in the mix. My mix even contains grit in the form of granite fines. Al

• saldut
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you Al, from the sound of it your humidity is much higher than we have now, I have these cuttings in a deep tray with a plastic bag tented over them so there is a bit of condensation inside the bag, would that work do you think ? maybe I should put them out on the porch without the heating pad, in the shade still with the bag over them ? I'm trying to root some roses that are no longer in the trade and also have gotten a Fortuniana from Antique Rose Emp., and hopefully later-on I can try grafting, we have such a problem here with nematodes.... never done this before and am learning what works best, and appreciate any and all input and advice... Thanks, sally

14 years ago

Sally, you don't say, but at this time of year you would normally be taking dormant cuttings with no leaves. With no leaves to dry and die, tenting is not usually required if you are not also using bottom heat. If you are tenting you will need to ventilate by removing the tent at least every other day. When using a tent I find that turning the plastic inside out gets rid of the excess moisture and the tent can be put right back on. In the spring when you would be using tip cuttings the tent and bottom heat are essential. All roses do not root equally well, good luck with yours. Al

• saldut
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you Al, I am learning a lot... here the roses do not go dormant, they grow year-round, so the cuttings do have leaves.. however, we are having weather that is unusually cold for us, actually some freezing, with little sun, due to El Nino.... the roses have stopped blooming and just sit there, and this is our time for pruning... they are not dormant like in the North and most years they bloom all year, but not this year...... don't know if that makes a difference.... thanks, sally

14 years ago

There is always some life in roses here too. In that sense they are not dormant, but close enough to be treated as a dormant plant. Yes they are just sitting there in the garden, and we are pruning them, which provides a good stock of cutting material, we can stick as dormant cuttings. Remove any leaves. Al

• User
    14 years ago

65-75F at the root zone is ideal for most roses.

14 years ago

trospero for rooting rose cuttings, when the cuttings were taken during the growth cycle, I would agree the use of bottom heat in the range of 70 degrees is indeed beneficial. Also the use of mist or tenting is a requirement. However with "dormant cuttings" I have found neither to be beneficial. Al

• User
    14 years ago

The original poster stated that the cuttings have foliage, and so they are not dormant wood. I guess Sally can proceed as she wishes and find out for herself what works and what doesn't.

• lookin4you2xist
    14 years ago

Sally,
    Right now is a good time to do cuttings.How are they holding up ?
    Andrew

• saldut
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My cuttings all seem to have died, they got a fungus or sort of a grey-whitish stuff alll over, mildew ? I guess I did something wrong.. but it's a learning curve ? sally

14 years ago

Sally do not be discouraged. For fungus to be a problem the growing conditions for fungus must have been ideal. Those conditions are too moist, too warm, not enough air circulation. Try again a little later in the season when this years wood has hardened somewhat. It is often called "semi-hard". Take cuttings at least the size of a pencil up to about three eights of an inch. A leaf or two or even a half leaf is OK. Bottom heat of about 70 degrees is helpful,as is rootone. Tenting or misting is required to prevent cutting drying out before rooting which may take a month or two. Tenting will require venting by removing the tent every day or two. Cuttings must be in the shade but outside is fine. Mix should be very loose, mostly perlite or similar. Try again Sally it is worth the effort. Al

• saldut
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Al, I sure appreciate any and all information, and the encouragement ! What I am doing now, every time I 'dead-head' and cut off a spent bloom, I cut way down and strip most of the leaves and have just stuck these into the ground.. don't know how this will work but it does with other stuff in the garden, most plants will root that way... I am also assembling some plastic bottle-bottoms and cutting large holes in the bottoms, and putting seed-starting mix with abt. half perlite so it drains well, and am dipping the cutting into a baggie with rootone in it, and shaking it around and then sticking it in this mix... some folks have said to tent it with the top of the plastic bottle, and some say to just leave it open, and then put it in the shade and keep it moist but not too wet.... I think before I had them too wet ?? and made them rot..? anyhooo, I am still trying, and trying, and trying...... and maybe someday I will learn how.... and then, learn how to graft onto Fortuniana... I do have a Fort. I got from Antique Rose Emp. and it has started to grow..... so we'll see.... and thanks for all the input, I sure need it and appreciate it..... sally

• lookin4you2xist
    14 years ago

Sally,
    You are not that far from me.( Riviera Bay behind the Village Inn so, 4th and 92 area!)If you want to use my misting bed you are welcome to as long as it isn't thousands of plants, and IF it IS, just give me a days notice so I can extend the misting bed and put up some more nozzles !!! Might be the easiest way for you! If you need help grafting this year, I can more than likely help, though it'll be practice for me also, I am not Great at it YET! Anyways, I'll P.M. you, and I can take cuttings of Fort. if you need them, I do not care if the plant ever blooms! Just don't mind my pot ghetto / city!
    Regards,
    Andrew

• akaj9
    14 years ago

Sally, I am also in Central FL. St. Cloud. I have a jigundus beautiful Fortuniana getting ready to go into bloom (a must see). I am planning on taking cuttings also, and trying my hand at rooting/Grafting. I wanted to offer you cuttings, as I know that the one you have will be a while, and mine is huge. I'm going to set up a misting bed, I think in FL that is the way to go. But I have plenty so let me know! Once we get this down, we'll try stenting :) janine

• saldut
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you Janine, I have not had any luck at rooting, yet ..all the cuttings I had in pots just died, I used mostly perlite and mixed some seed-starting mix in with it and had a jar over the top, but they all mildewed or molded and died, so it must have been too wet.... several had a plastic baggie over them but it didn't make any difference....... my Fortuniana is blooming now and he is only 2 months old here in the ground, I got him from Antique Rose Emporium in Jan., so he is doing quite well,, but still a baby.... I need to learn how to make the cuttings work, I have lots of big roses and when I prune I try and root them also, I have several I just stuck in the ground next to the big rose and I think one is actually rooting ! When my Fort. gets longer branches I plan on pegging them down and trying to root them that way, instead of actually cutting off the branch, sort of like air-layering.... will see how that works.... have you tried that ? I did have another rose that rooted that way, the canes flopped over on the ground and one did root and form a separate plant, so it might work...but we'll see.... thanks, sally

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES