Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lionessrose

Mirror Image Seedling, Twin, Deformed, Normal ??

lionessrose
18 years ago

Hello all.Have a seedling question. All of my babies are OP. I collected hips from several locations Aug. Sept. 2005, but did not research the mother plant(s). I have now gone back and found out, of the 18 roses I obtained hips from, seedlings may or may not be from: French Perfume, Melody Parfumee, Tigress, Tropicana, Chicago Peace, Seirra Skye & Falstaff. The other 11 mother plants are at this time unknown. Now for my question. I have one seedling that has me scratching my head. It reminds me of a mirror image. As far as I know it is only one rose with 1 cane, however each new leaf or (stipule/petiole/stem?) appear to be identical on each side of the cane, they are not off-set, one grows above the other, like my other seedlings. I have not pulled her out to look at her roots, in fear of killing her. Here are pictures: Each stipule/petiole/stem identical on cane, one grows on one side of cane,one on the other side:
{{gwi:1236393}}
Top leaf has 2 leaves one on top of other, but each have their own petoile or stem:
{{gwi:1236394}}{{gwi:1236395}}

Hope the pictures help with trying to describe what I am seeing.Any feedback would be great. I just don't know what to think about this little lady. Is she normal, a twin or deformed?? Thank you. Lioness

Comments (11)

• woodroid
    18 years ago

Whatever it is, Please follow up and let us know what the bloom is like. It does look unusual. Maybe you have a cross with another plant by nature. God works in mysterious ways.

• maggie_the_kid
    18 years ago

I doubt they crossed with anything other than rosa,please keep us informed,I'd like to see the blooms.

• lionessrose
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I too am excited to see how she blooms... or if she blooms at all. Nothing new to report as of yet, other than her 2 new sprouting leaves, each as before, mirror like image, one on one side, one on the other, across from one another:
    {{gwi:1236396}}{{gwi:1236397}}
    I wish I had marked my seeds and knew the mommy plants,and had planned this out a little better. However, I honestly didn't think I would really grow any of the seeds when I began the hip collecting. I thought I would give it a try, but planned on failing. Wish I had known then what I know now, but have been learning from my mistakes :o)
    I will keep posting her growth and changes. Amen to the wonderful seedlings the Lord has provided :o) I have more babies than I had ever dreamed of. And, off the twin, mirror subject, thought I would post my first seedling bloom from a different seedling. She has not quite opened yet, but started yesterday:
    {{gwi:1236398}}
    Her color, so far, is an off/cream white with a very soft pink tint.Thank you for your replies. Lionessrose

• angelsmell
    18 years ago

Post a close up of her opened..... do you know the parentage of the rose that bloomed?

• lionessrose
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Don't have a clue what her parentage is. If I had to guess, based on her color, I would like to think maybe a relative of "Chicago Peace", Sport of the "Peace" rose. But this is only a guess. As far as I know, I did not gather hips from any roses white in color. "Chicago Peace" is as close as I could come via hips from Mother plant. Here she is in full bloom with a total of 16 petals:
    {{gwi:1235756}}{{gwi:1236401}}
    She has been clipped. I let her live for a day and she is now pressed in a book. I plan on making a bookmark out of her after she has dried out.
    Now for an update on the "Twin??", she has grown her 2 leaves mentioned in an earlier post and now has another 2 leaves sprouting... as before, both mirror like image once again. The last 2 leaves are kind of neat. They are growing almost vine like. Rather than outward they are growing more in-ward, toward the center:
    {{gwi:1236404}}{{gwi:1236407}}
    Have not noted any budding yet ... still waiting :o)
    Must mention two of my other seedling have also bloomed. They opened today:
    {{gwi:1235767}}{{gwi:1235770}}
    The first is white with a tiny hint of pink and a total of 6 petals. The 2nd is also white with a darker pink nearing more maroon in color, with a total of 5 petals.
    I am really crossing my fingers the 2nd might be a relative of "Tigress", oh, what a beautiful rose I find "Tigress" to be. Guess I will really never know for sure, but I can hope :o) Lionessrose

• bojo96
    18 years ago

How exciting for you. Here's to wishing you many more blooms.
    And here's to me yelling at my seedlings...buds dang you buds! LOL
    Julie

• george_mander
    18 years ago

About your white seedling you don't have a clue what it's parentage is :

If you raise over 24000 (twentyfour thousand) seedlings like I did since 1969 then you will see that "anything, any colour" is possible. Your seedling may come from Chicago Peace, but if you have seeds from red roses you may also get "white" red, pink, plus any colour of the rainbow, seedlings.
    Back in 1974 I got a purple/cream bicolour HT (MANpurple) from a white seedparent x yellow/orange pollen. When trying to trace back both parents, to find out where the purple came from, I came to a dead end.
    Check out 'MANpurple' and other roses of mine at HelpMeFind Roses. (HMF)

Finally,in 2004 on HMF, I was able to trace back both parents to a purple rose from way back in 1880 and 1887.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mander roses at HMF

• mariagharo
    18 years ago

Has anybody seen a Jointed Rose Buds. Two Buds on one stem. I have one in my garden, and waiting for it to grow. Please let me know if anyone has seen others before. Thank you.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    18 years ago

Yes, that is common for many roses, two or more buds on one stem. What variety is your rose?

Lioness, any new pics?

• lionessrose
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hello all. Sorry it took so long to get back. I don't have a good new pic of twin rose, other than in the last picture of my post, the 2 arrows are pointing at her. She was doing well throughout the summer and is now under crappy snow. She didn't bloom last season, crossing fingers for the new season, however I will not know if my twin rose or my other seedling rose babies will even make it for another crappy 3 months :o( Can't wait for April showers, had enough of ugly snow! I thought I would post a non-snow covered pic of the coming along of my rose garden before the nasty snow took away my beautiful green yard... Just looking at it made my day a little better. Here is a pic from last May, just before digging, planting, major overhaul, blooming and growth began
    {{gwi:1236410}}
    And here she is in mid August last year
    {{gwi:1236412}}
    Can't wait to have her back. Winter is too darn long :o( Will post new twin info and pics ASAP. The Lioness, Cheri

• aliska12000
    17 years ago

Enjoyed your post and photos. I'm fascinated with nature's mutations or anomalies like that. I hope it survives an Idaho winter and am curious what the bloom will be like.

Being under a lot of snow may not be such a bad thing as it is more protective than being exposed and freezing winds. But I'm no expert.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES