Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
miriah_gw

Repot new cutting roses?

miriah
18 years ago

I have been growing cuttings of Marmalade Skies since I started them this fall before winter. They are growing nicely but I am wondering if I should put them into larger pots. They are in 4 inch pots right now and are throwing new growth. I am concerned they may become root bound and die. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Miriah

Comments (5)

• mgleason56
    18 years ago

4 inch pots should be fine until you can get them outside. Tell me, are these under grow lights right now? I have about 25-30 rooted cuttings I got from UCal-Davis in November is 6 inch pots under lights, and quite a few of these are now blooming.

• miriah
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi, My Marmalade Skies cuttings were doing great, one was looking as if it was thinking about throwing a bud. I had them under lights plus I had the base of the pots surrounded by little twinkle Xmas lights to keep the bases warm. You notice I am using the past tense. My young cat decided it was too cold one night about two weeks ago and squirmed his way into their 'tent' and made a bed on them. Not one is alive today. I was heart sick until I got Wayside Gardens spring catalog and they are offering it as a bear root. I am going to order six and get them in the ground in April. I will continue to take cuttings because I want to have 13-14 to line my long paddock fence. I am so in love with this rose.
    Miriah

• madspinner
    18 years ago

You might think about starting your cuttings in bigger pots to start. I've been starting most of mine in either quart or gallon size pots, with at least two or three cuttings per pot. Then when I see roots coming out of the bottom holes, I move them up to the next size pot. After they are in a 2-4 gallon pot for awhile and look pretty healthy, then I might plant them in the ground.

The roses take up more room to start, but I've had more luck starting them in the larger pots than in smaller pots. My first year I started a lot in small pots... and almost none made it. Also, I've had better luck with larger cuttings than with tiny cuttings.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    18 years ago

Miriah, you might check with Chamblees Nursery on Marmalade Skies......I was there this last Friday and am almost sure I saw it there, perhaps they could ship it, their plants are tops!
    Judith

• miriah
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi, My poor Marmalade Skies took a real beating this winter. Cut back almost to the ground. I am still going to take cuttings off it this summer and see how many I can get to grow on my own. I will try Chamblee, I didn't see it on their web page but I will email them to see if they offer it. I love their roses. Am getting a few more Abe Darby from them, it'd be nice to get Marmalade from them too. Thanks for the pot size recommendation, I will take all this to heart. Hope this year produces better results. Will keep cat away. LOL
    Miriah