Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gaijingirl

Just transplanted rose cuttings...I think we need help...

gaijingirl
15 years ago

I'm a newbie and took my first cuttings last October with some success. I have 9 rose "babies" that I started from cuttings last fall. They were doing well, but I decided that they needed to be put into some bigger pots. About 2 weeks ago, I transplanted them into 5 inch peat pots.

I wasn't sure what kind of medium to put them into and so I just used peat and perlite (which they had been growing in previously) since that was working so far. When I transplanted I saw that they had quite good root systems developed...larger than I expected, so they were definately in need of more room.

However, I'm wondering if they may be needing some more nutrients as they are now.

I have a couple of questions:

First of all, just over the past 2 or 3 days, 8 out of 9 have started to get a few leaves that are starting to yellow. Any idea why this would suddenly be? Could they be in transplant shock 2 weeks later? Or, are they lacking nutrients?

Should I be fertilizing with anything now or adding anything to their pots?

I plan to put them outside once we get some consistently good weather, probably by the end of April or May and I will transplant the peat pots directly to the garden.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments (3)

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    15 years ago

There are no nutrients in peat or perlite. So anything planted in that sort of medium either needs regular fertilizing, or it's running on fumes.

I'd get a good, balanced liquid plant food, and start them out with seedling strength or half strength. Use this every time you water them.

If you don't get around to transplanting them once they go outside, make a special effort to water them with fertilizer mixture. Since they probably won't need regular watering in the spring rains, this is a special effort.

• hartwood
    15 years ago

When I transplant cuttings into their own pots, I give them 1/2 strength fish emulsion every other week.

Where are you keeping them? Yellow leaves can be caused by lots of things, not just nutrient deficiency. These little babies are pushing leaves at a time when their relatives outdoors are still sleeping. There are fewer daylight hours and a much lower angle sun than in late spring when temps start to warm and things outside begin to grow. This may not have anything to do with it, it's just the first thing that popped into my head. Don't even get me started on the possibility of spider mites ... we won't go there. :)

Nine new babies on your first try with cuttings is great! Congratulations.

Connie

• lou_spicewood_tx
    15 years ago

I use controlled release fertilizer like Dynamtie 18-6-8 from Lowes or HD. It is a 9 months release and I think it works great. That's what I am using right now on new cuttings. They are inside where the temperature is at constant 68*F under grow lights and humidity dome. So far 17 out of 18 'Nacogdoches' are alive with new growth. Probably a month old so far. Maybe 3 weeks? I also mist spray cutting daily, alternating filtered water and weak solution of seaweed/humic acid. They are grown in rootmaker propagation tray where they air prune roots leading to faster and superior root system leading to faster growth due to higher nutrition absorption from more roots from being air pruned.