Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hybrid tea cuttings

Posted by hdchan z5 IN (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 8, 06 at 17:12

I'm not finding too much information about rooting HT cuttings. It seems that temps are a more critical factor with these roses... what is the ideal temp for them? Are there any other factors to consider for successful rooting of HTs?

Thanks,
Holly

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hybrid tea cuttings

Holly,
I have about 60 going in my basement right now I got as cuttings from UCal Davis. While they are trying toroot, I keep them on a thermostatically controlled heat mat at 74 degrees. Once they have rooted, and I have re-potted, I just keep them under Fluorescent lights for 17 hours a day.This must be working because some of the roses I started on 11/4/05 are rooted and flowering (El Capitan, El Cid, Virgo, Pacifica are blooming right now). I took the instructions provided by George Mander, and tried different experiments to see what would work best for me.
Two of the changes I made were the rooting medium (I swear by coconut coir) and the pots I use for rooting. The pots I use are 2.25 square x 3 1/4 deep, and clear, which means I can see the roots as they are forming. I find great satisfaction when checking cuttings and seeing the roots actually growing.
Let me know if you have any questions. To check out some photo's frm my gardens, you can click on the link here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gleason's Michigan Rose Garden

o

Personally...I think HT's are harder to root than OGR's are.I have the best luck rooting anything using dormant cutting and planting/sticking them straight in the garden soil with mason jars over the cuttings.

o

I don't grow lots of HTs but the few I do grow root rather easily compared to the OGRs and antiques I have. Those HTs that root easily for me are Radiance, Red Radiance, Lafter, and Midas touch.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here