Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone want to take a risk on a rose bush?

Posted by hhouse 7/Birmingham (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 25, 06 at 17:44

An upfront disclaimer: I know absolutely nothing about roses, other than what common sense would tell me. Anything I think could be absolutely wrong! We moved into a home about 18 mos. ago. Planted in one of the beds is a rose bush. It hasn't bloomed during our time here, but the leaves and stems appear to be healthy. I let the stems grow long to see its shape, and I think it may be a climbing rose. It doesn't have enough space where it is in the bed, and realistically, I'm not going to take the time to figure out what type of rose it is and how to care for it. If anyone wants to come to northern Shelby County to dig it and try their luck in coaxing it into bloom, they're welcome to it!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone want to take a risk on a rose bush?

I would love to, my only concern is what state you are in. I am in South East Georgia.

o

• Posted by hhouse 7/Birmingham (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 3, 06 at 11:45

That would be helpful information, wouldn't it? We live just south of Birmingham, Alabama.

o

• Posted by ntt_hou 8b/9a/NWHouston (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 7, 06 at 15:48

If you find no one to take it, roses can be transplanted. You can trim it down, dig it up, put it in a pot. Bring it to a local nursery that would be willing to trade in for something that you'd like to plant.

Perhaps, you may want to find the nursery first that agrees for the trade in. They may show you how to trim and transplant it.

o

Call the Birmingham Rose Society, someone there can help identify it and perhaps someone in the society might want the plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Alabama Rose Societies

o

• Posted by hhouse 7/Birmingham (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 8, 06 at 11:45

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll follow up on those.

o

Came across this old post and just wondered what happened to this rose? I also live just south of Birmingham in Helena. It a great place to grow roses!

Here is a link that might be useful: RedneckRosarian

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here