Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hhouse_gw

Anyone want to take a risk on a rose bush?

hhouse
18 years ago

An upfront disclaimer: I know absolutely nothing about roses, other than what common sense would tell me. Anything I think could be absolutely wrong! We moved into a home about 18 mos. ago. Planted in one of the beds is a rose bush. It hasn't bloomed during our time here, but the leaves and stems appear to be healthy. I let the stems grow long to see its shape, and I think it may be a climbing rose. It doesn't have enough space where it is in the bed, and realistically, I'm not going to take the time to figure out what type of rose it is and how to care for it. If anyone wants to come to northern Shelby County to dig it and try their luck in coaxing it into bloom, they're welcome to it!

Comments (6)

• rose_lady_2006
    18 years ago

I would love to, my only concern is what state you are in. I am in South East Georgia.

• hhouse
    Original Author
    18 years ago

That would be helpful information, wouldn't it? We live just south of Birmingham, Alabama.

• ntt_hou
    18 years ago

If you find no one to take it, roses can be transplanted. You can trim it down, dig it up, put it in a pot. Bring it to a local nursery that would be willing to trade in for something that you'd like to plant.

Perhaps, you may want to find the nursery first that agrees for the trade in. They may show you how to trim and transplant it.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    18 years ago

Call the Birmingham Rose Society, someone there can help identify it and perhaps someone in the society might want the plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Alabama Rose Societies

• hhouse
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll follow up on those.

• cvfawl
    15 years ago

Came across this old post and just wondered what happened to this rose? I also live just south of Birmingham in Helena. It a great place to grow roses!

Here is a link that might be useful: RedneckRosarian

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES