Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shelleykj

Abracadabra?

shelleykj
17 years ago

I saw the link to Gleason's Michigan Rose Garden and WOW!!

Abracadabra is gorgeous! Any way to find that in South Dakota, cutting, bareroot bush, anything!

Shelley

Comments (8)

• mgleason56
    17 years ago

Hey thanks Shelleykj!

I cannot promise you anything being that it has been extremely cold here, but I'd be happy to try rooting one for you if mine makes it through th winter. Send me an email with your address, and we can work details out once some warm weather gets here.

As much as I like Abracadabra, I am hot after Simsalabim! Probably just because it is proving so difficult to find!

Here is a link that might be useful: Simsalabim - Another Kordes Rose!

• shelleykj
    Original Author
    17 years ago

You're right! Simsalabim would definately be something to brag about having in a garden! This was my first posting, thrilled to get a response. I'm currently trying to root cuttings from long-stem red roses from my anniversary this past weekend. Wish me luck. Do these actually come in named varieties or are they just called florists' roses?
    Shelley

• shelleykj
    Original Author
    17 years ago

P.S. Okay, my roses are bright red, 16 petals, largest is about 3" when open. Any guesses? Thanks, it would be nice to know what I hope to be planting in a few months!
    Shelley

• mgleason56
    17 years ago

I'd guess Charlotte. And yes, all florist roses are named. I believe charlotte is the red florist rose de Jour.

How are you trying to root?

• shelleykj
    Original Author
    17 years ago

M.: Did you get my email? I have them in a 24"x4", 6" deep plastic planter I drilled drain holes in, filled with plain potting soil, used Schultz TakeRoot. A few have fresh growth that was already there when I cut them and that and any leaves on them look good. I have a 25W plant light on them about 16 hours/day, basement is aroung 68 degreesF. Any other suggestions? Let me know if you received my email through the link or I'll email you directly.

• mgleason56
    17 years ago

I did not get your email. My direct email is;

borje56@comcast.net

How are you keeping the leaves moist? Is your container covered with clear plastic?

Send me an email and I'll give you my cell # and we can discuss if you wish.

• shelleykj
    Original Author
    17 years ago

mgleason,
    No plastic yet, that's my next project. So what does everyone do with all the cuttings they make? Just trade them or have HUGE gardens? I sent you a new email.
    Shelley

• jont1
    17 years ago

I love that photo of Simsalabim and will keep my eyes out for it as well.
    Striped roses are beginning to grow on me for some reason.
    I have ordered Pink Intuition and Red Intuition as well as Roedean, though I am not too sure I will get Roedean at all. Hortico is the only supplier I can find and apparently they are on backorder up to their eyeballs for it.
    John

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County