Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Adventure with a rooted rose bud

Posted by sanrosa 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 19, 10 at 19:00

This is a very helpful place!
The little rose bush in the first photo is my first cutting success. You can see its first little bud. (Thank you Connie from Hartwood roses! You were very helpful here and on your site.) The second photo is that first bud which I clipped from it so that the new baby bush could get stronger roots. I hated to not see the first bud at least try to open, so I put it in a little jar and low and behold, a few weeks later.... roots! You can see them in the second photo. I had never seen roots grow from a cut rose in water. So interesting! I dipped it in rootone and potted it in my rooting mix. We'll see what happens. I wanted to ask here how to procede, but could not log on yesterday, so I just potted it anyway.
I am having fun propagating roses. Thanks to everyone here for all the great help.
Sandra

bud on rooted mini Feb 10 photo 2

Feb 18 10 roots on bud 4

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Adventure with a rooted rose bud

Now you have let the secret out! Roses are so easy "a cave man could root them". Congratulations on your propagation efforts. Al

o

Thank you , Al. Yes, easy and fun. It seemed so mysterious but now I realize that these little sticks want to grow, or I should say are programed to grow. Just giving nature a little nudge, and a conducive place to go at it, is remarkably rewarding. This project has really taken the cabin-fever edge off of this extra cold, wet and seemingly interminable winter for me!
Sandra

o

How long did it take to root .. did you use indirect lite or does it matter ?

Wow.. I had no idea it was that easy.

Tina

o

I also want to know about the direct/indirect light and how long. Did you dip the cutting in rooting hormone before putting in water.

How often did you change water?

o

I recently put two pieces in dirt with some rose fertilizer. Will that work too?? How long will it take if it works?

o

This is soooo amazing! Who wouda thunk it? Congratulations on your success.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here