Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
growing roses from clippings this time of yr.

Posted by woody64 5a (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 19:27

I got some clippings from the local florist at valentines day cause I figured they will be the freshest since they sell so many at this time of yr and want to try and grow some from the clippings.I 've had some success in the summer with clippings but not this time of yr. Has anyone had any success trying to propagate roses in late winter? If so what was your method?thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: growing roses from clippings this time of yr.

Well, I have one that has done surprisingly well. It broke off one of my antique roses and I stuck it in a pot and gee, it rooted. But you have a very different situation and climate. Have you already planted them? Seems like 2 weeks ago is a long time to get them and not plant them. A lot of those florist roses won't root, but some people have had some success with them. If you do a search for rose propagation her on GW, there's a huge, huge thread with a lot of info about how to root roses, and some people discuss those florist roses, pros and cons. I read it a while back and it was fun.

o
RE: growing roses from clippings this time of yr.

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 2, 13 at 16:09

It's the same procedure as doing them in the summer but the trick is to get them enough light and to keep the humidity high around them inside. If your weather is like mine a "sunny" window sill isn't going to be enough light. You'll need to put them under some grow lights. And humidities inside a home are never high enough so I keep mine on a try of pebbles with water in it. But you don't want the bottom of the pot in the water! It needs to sit above the water so the soil isn't soaking but the air around the pot has a higher humidity.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here