Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
transplanting mature roses

Posted by thepaperrose MI (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 1, 07 at 19:36

I have what I believe to be a grandiflora that has been in the same place for probably 20 or 30 yrs. As far as I know it has never been touched. I've trimmed off all of the dead parts to it, now it's about half the size it was. It's about 8-10 ft tall, about 10-12 ft across, there are four 'stalks' at the base about 1-1.5" across. One of these comes out horizontally. My question is this: What is the best way to move a plant this large? I figure I'll have to do it bare root, then come back for some of it's dirt to try to reduce some of the shock. Should I remove the part that comes up horizontally? I'm going to assume that it will need support (It's leaning on several downed trees), what is the best way to do this? Any insight I can get is greatly appreciated!! Thank you!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: transplanting mature roses

• Posted by tinus France 4/5 (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 1, 07 at 20:30

Hello,
I also have a grandiflora...it was in the garden of the house I bought and has been there for more than 30 years,...It is a very beautifull rose and I didn't want to loose it but it was standing in the way...
One day my neighbour and I just decided to move it (I had watered it thoroughly during a week before each day)...we dug it up and put it in the new hole, watered it well....
This was in september or october...and it is doing fine!
I was surprised it all worked out so well...it had a bud on it and it flowered some days after moving!

Tinus

o

I just read about deep spading and wedging out to fill with fresh rooting soil, then weeks later digging up and moving. Any one tried this?

o

paper,

Where in Mi are you located? I'm down in Brownstown, which is about 15 miles south of Detroit.

My suggestion would be to wait until the ground is diggable and remove as much of the root system as possible. I would then transplant to the biggest pot you can get and use good potting soil to fill pot. Remove the horizontal cane, along with any that look weak. I do this quite a bit in late March/early April without the roses suffering one bit. You can then plant it later in spring where you like without having to worry about shock.

Speaking of transplanting, I'll be removing about 50 or so roses from my gardens come spring. These are all patented roses that I have decided to donate to members of our local rose society (DownRiver Rose Society). So if you are in the area, think about joining. We have a pretty informal group here with some real knowledgeable folks. The Lindleys from GLR, along with members such as Tom McMillan, who is the breeder of some great exhibition roses such as Rejoice and Affirm.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here