Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is Coconut Coir A Good Medium For Rooting Roses?

Posted by alameda 8 - East Texas (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 21, 13 at 22:28

I have several blocks of coconut coir. Is this good for rooting roses? If so, should I add anything to it? Thanks for any advice...
Judith

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is Coconut Coir A Good Medium For Rooting Roses?

The reports are it's very good for propagating roses. It's finally becoming much more readily available and more cost effectively, thanks to the marijuana growers! Coir is the "active ingredient" in moisture control potting soils as it can absorb and hold up to a third more available water than peat and other ingredients, without becoming waterlogged. I've not used straight coir, but I do plant my wrapped cuttings in moisture control potting soil containing coir. I would imagine you wouldn't have to add anything. Kim

o

Thanks Kim! You really should write a book...with all the knowledge you have and photos.....it would be a must have for every rose library!
Judith

o

Thanks, Judith! Kim

o

I like it a lot. Use 1/2 mix with sharp sand. You put the brick in a bucket & pour hot water on it & it fluffs up. I think it's a bit acidic. anyway, it seems to reduce rot yet has excellent water retention.

o

Be careful as to where you buy your coir. Apparently there are some types with too much salt.

Here is a link that might be useful: salt and coir info

o

Look for a hydroponics store in your area. They exist to cater to the pot growers. THEY will have safe coir and probably at decent prices. NO ONE is going to foul up THEIR crops! Kim

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 2, 13 at 16:23

I have a rooting wizard friend who uses it exclusively. I, however, haven't had much luck with it. The difference is he has misters and I don't so I have a hard time keeping it evenly moist enough.

o

Thanks for sharing your info guys. I really appreciate your efforts and I will be waiting for your further write ups. Thanks again.

Here is a link that might be useful: Medisoft program

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here