Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shelleykj

Mold on cuttings, DOA?

shelleykj
17 years ago

Hello everyone! I have my cuttings (florists rose) in my basement, under light, tented in plastic. I don't think there any roots yet, some new leaves on several. It's been 17 days. A few have mold or mildew on the top cut edge. Should I get rid of the one's that are like that? Too much moisture under the plastic? What should I try? Thanks everyone for being so helpful so far!

Shelley

Comments (11)

• michelle_co
    17 years ago

Sometimes the top molds slightly but the bottom roots are OK. In that case, you can mix up a 10% solution of bleach water and touch the moldy stuff with a q-tip. It should kill the mold quickly without harming the plant. You can touch up small moldy spots on leaves the same way.

However, often the lower stem is also rotting :-( - in that case the stem will turn brown.

I am also having NO luck with rooting this time of year. I am trying a couple of florist roses, using sand as the media. I tried re-dipping the stems in rooting hormone two weeks out to see if that makes any difference.

Cheers,
    Michelle

• shelleykj
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Michelle, I must be having beginner's luck! I even took one out to it's own container already. I wish I had started with clear containers from the beginning so I could see the roots. I used one of those long plastic planters and drilled some drain holes in it. I just used potting soil then covered with some window plastic, taped the ends shut and have a light on them about 15 hrs/day. If I could figure out how to load pictures, I'd show you, tried photobucket, very confusing!
    Shelley

• michelle_co
    17 years ago

Yeah, mine have sprouted leaves, but I've been checking regularly and they are not calloused yet (stuck 3 weeks ago). I thought if mine make it to callousing, then I will put them in a soilless mix to root.

Cheers,
    Michelle

• mgleason56
    17 years ago

I'm telling you, switch to coconut coir instead of potting soil! I am going to check mine tonite and see what is happening. I have not looked at them since I stuck them about 17 days ago.

Shelly, did you see the ic on the other posting of the clear cutting containers?

• shelleykj
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Mike, I'm surprised you haven't given up hope on me yet! But it won't hurt them if I pull them up and repot them? I guess I'm just afraid of that. We do have a Petco here where I could get it. Believe it or not I worked there for 4 years!
    Shelley

• mgleason56
    17 years ago

Heck no! I'll NEVER give up hope! Make sure you take a look at your other post, and the picture I put out there of my cutting containers. Matter of fact, I'll put it here for you...

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1235945}}

• shelleykj
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yes, I saw the picture last time. Where did you find them, otherwise I'll just put drain holes in some other kind of clear cups, as long as you think it won't hurt to do them over again?
    Shelley

• pkapeckopickldpepprz
    16 years ago

Not having much luck with coir either here in Florida in clear plastic containers. I have tried several batches covered leaving openings for some air circulation, in the screened in lanai (with plastic panels so no wind) as well as outside against the wall for some air flow. The containers all have coir and tried it with a 1/2" of perlite on the bottom supposedly to correct the stems from rotting. I tried different amounts of water so different moisture levels. I just lifted off the covers of my 2 latest batches in coir/perlite. There was a lot of moisture on the cover lid but the coir itself looked dry. All the leaves stems were brown save for a few leafless stems that were fairly green. All cuttings I prepare by scraping and then dipping in rooting gel.

I seemed to have the best luck with taking fresh cuttings and sticking them in water for a week and then scraping the bottom, recutting the ends and the sticking in soil. Still that was less than 30% success.

When the temps are in the 80-90's here in Florida it may be the reason it's not rooting, too hot?

• pkapeckopickldpepprz
    16 years ago

I may actually start a batch in the house in my covered clear shoe box containers. It is cooler than outdoors, but the light might not be as much. I would think in a sunny window they may do better. We will see.

• nami
    16 years ago

i just lost a batch of cuttings to mold too. i am so bummed.

shud i use just sand and keep it moist. i think potting soil wasnt the right thing to use, but have no clue what to use

help!