Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
Mold on cuttings, DOA?

Posted by shelleykj SD (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 27, 07 at 23:57

Hello everyone! I have my cuttings (florists rose) in my basement, under light, tented in plastic. I don't think there any roots yet, some new leaves on several. It's been 17 days. A few have mold or mildew on the top cut edge. Should I get rid of the one's that are like that? Too much moisture under the plastic? What should I try? Thanks everyone for being so helpful so far!
Shelley


Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: Mold on cuttings, DOA?

Sometimes the top molds slightly but the bottom roots are OK. In that case, you can mix up a 10% solution of bleach water and touch the moldy stuff with a q-tip. It should kill the mold quickly without harming the plant. You can touch up small moldy spots on leaves the same way.

However, often the lower stem is also rotting :-( - in that case the stem will turn brown.

I am also having NO luck with rooting this time of year. I am trying a couple of florist roses, using sand as the media. I tried re-dipping the stems in rooting hormone two weeks out to see if that makes any difference.

Cheers,
Michelle


 o
RE: Mold on cuttings, DOA?

Thanks Michelle, I must be having beginner's luck! I even took one out to it's own container already. I wish I had started with clear containers from the beginning so I could see the roots. I used one of those long plastic planters and drilled some drain holes in it. I just used potting soil then covered with some window plastic, taped the ends shut and have a light on them about 15 hrs/day. If I could figure out how to load pictures, I'd show you, tried photobucket, very confusing!
Shelley


 o
RE: Mold on cuttings, DOA?

Yeah, mine have sprouted leaves, but I've been checking regularly and they are not calloused yet (stuck 3 weeks ago). I thought if mine make it to callousing, then I will put them in a soilless mix to root.

Cheers,
Michelle


 o
RE: Mold on cuttings, DOA?

I'm telling you, switch to coconut coir instead of potting soil! I am going to check mine tonite and see what is happening. I have not looked at them since I stuck them about 17 days ago.

Shelly, did you see the ic on the other posting of the clear cutting containers?


 o
RE: Mold on cuttings, DOA?

Hi Mike, I'm surprised you haven't given up hope on me yet! But it won't hurt them if I pull them up and repot them? I guess I'm just afraid of that. We do have a Petco here where I could get it. Believe it or not I worked there for 4 years!
Shelley


 o
RE: Mold on cuttings, DOA?

Heck no! I'll NEVER give up hope! Make sure you take a look at your other post, and the picture I put out there of my cutting containers. Matter of fact, I'll put it here for you...

Here is a link that might be useful: My cutting containers


 o
RE: Mold on cuttings, DOA?

Yes, I saw the picture last time. Where did you find them, otherwise I'll just put drain holes in some other kind of clear cups, as long as you think it won't hurt to do them over again?
Shelley


 o
RE: Mold on cuttings, DOA?

My first attempt at rooting some cuttings just failed miserably. I only had 3 cuttings to start with.

Here is what I did:

I bought a block of compressed coir, soaked that in hot water till it expanded, then baked it till it was over 200F for about 10 minutes. Then let it cool and then re-moistened it. I took 2 clear yogurt tubs and poked a butter knife through the bottom a few times for drainage. I then filled them about 3/4 full with the coir. I then cut my cuttings, removed all the leaves, put them in a bleach solution for about half an hour, recut, then dipped them in rooting powder, and inserted into the coir. I then took a couple 2-liter soda bottles and cut the bottoms off, and then inserted these over my yogurt tubs to act as mini-greenhouses. I then put the cuttings on a window sill in my basement. It only gets filtered sun in the morning for a couple hours.

Everything was going well for about two weeks, when I noticed a bit of mold starting to form on the top of the coir in one of the tubs. A few days later, both cuttings in that tub had mold on their top ends. A few days later mold started to form on all the node/eyes, and then finally mold formed at the bottom of each cutting at the soil level and then they all turned brown.

Any idea what I could do different next time?

Exactly how moist should the coir be? Would some perlite in the bottom of the yogurt tubs help?

The instructions that I followed said to remove ALL the leaves, but then I saw several other methods where they said to keep some/most/all the leaves...? Any advice?

thanks,


 o
RE: Mold on cuttings, DOA?

Not having much luck with coir either here in Florida in clear plastic containers. I have tried several batches covered leaving openings for some air circulation, in the screened in lanai (with plastic panels so no wind) as well as outside against the wall for some air flow. The containers all have coir and tried it with a 1/2" of perlite on the bottom supposedly to correct the stems from rotting. I tried different amounts of water so different moisture levels. I just lifted off the covers of my 2 latest batches in coir/perlite. There was a lot of moisture on the cover lid but the coir itself looked dry. All the leaves stems were brown save for a few leafless stems that were fairly green. All cuttings I prepare by scraping and then dipping in rooting gel.

I seemed to have the best luck with taking fresh cuttings and sticking them in water for a week and then scraping the bottom, recutting the ends and the sticking in soil. Still that was less than 30% success.

When the temps are in the 80-90's here in Florida it may be the reason it's not rooting, too hot?


 o
RE: Mold on cuttings, DOA? 2

I may actually start a batch in the house in my covered clear shoe box containers. It is cooler than outdoors, but the light might not be as much. I would think in a sunny window they may do better. We will see.


 o
RE: Mold on cuttings, DOA?

  • Posted by nami 9b (My Page) on
    Thu, May 31, 07 at 16:46

i just lost a batch of cuttings to mold too. i am so bummed.

shud i use just sand and keep it moist. i think potting soil wasnt the right thing to use, but have no clue what to use

help!


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here