Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madspinner

looking for likely candidates....

madspinner
18 years ago

Is anyone else already out looking for likely roses to take cuttings from? I've been kind of casually looking when I'm driving around for obvious rose bushes... and I've already spotted a couple more where I work that look like antiques that I will check out as they leaf out and bloom. Most of these don't even have leaves yet!

I must have at least 6 or so bushes staked out already.

Is that too nurotic and strange? Is this a sign of obsession?

I actually took a bunch of cuttings from a friend's parents house in the fall without having seen any of the flowers... So I am going back again in the spring to see what I've got! I think pretty much everything rooted! I have 8 pots of rooted cuttings, often two in a pot. But some of them might be repeats of each other. Since I didn't know what anything was, I didn't label any of these.

I also have two tiny cuttings another friend brought me that look like they have rooted too. I have vauge descriptions of those, but I havn't even seen the bushes in person. These are like the smallest cuttings I have ever seen, and were rooted in late summer/early fall. I really didn't think they would make it. I think they were like maybe 3 or 4" long and thin, thin, thin! One of them died, and I think it might have been a Rugosa Alba. The other two made it so far and have leaf buds appearing. One is supposed to be a pink china of some sort.

This is on top of about 20 or so cuttings I had rooted during the summer.... from bushes I DID see.

So this is going to be an exciting spring for me!

Comments (2)