Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hirdepal_singh

how to grow black rose from seeds

hirdepal_singh
10 years ago

Dear All
I am from INDIA and i live in punjab and the temprature over here is around 27 to 30 degrees and it will go high in coming days and my question is for all of you who can help me to grow black rose from seeds ,,i wanna tell you here that i bought black rose seeds from various web sites like amazon ,,aliexpress,,,and ebay as well i tried so many times to grow black roses from seeds but never got a single plant so kindly help me to grow black roses from seeds ,,it will be a big help for me,,,even now i hav put some seeds in coco peat in a tray sealed with a clear bag and its almost 17 days and i cann`t see anything in them ,,,so plz plz plz help me

Comments (23)

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

I hate to be the barer of bad news but the seeds you purchased may not be any good. And may not even be rose seed. Besides that roses do not grow true to variety from seed. So even if you had rose seeds from a "black" rose (which actually will be a very dark red) the plants that grow from them might be any color depending on the parents of the rose the seeds came from. There is no way to know what color until they bloom.

Most rose seeds need a cold stratification before they will germinate. To do this you have to take the seeds out of the hips, clean them and wrap the seeds in a damp paper towel, put them in a plastic bag and put them in the refrigerator for about 6 to 8 weeks. Then either start checking them for germinations and plant as they germinate or plant them all and wait for them to germinate. Without this cold period they may never germinate at all or may take months to do so. If you do a search on here you should find many threads that explain how to do this in detail.

• hirdepal_singh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I tried that way also kept them in refrigrator for 5-6 weeks and i did that thrice ,, but nothing came up .. i hope i won`t be able to c a black rose in my garden,,, over here people grow roses from there bushes and when i talk about seeds they laugh at me because no one ever had grown roses from seeds so iether i need a bush of black rose ,, or i have to quit ,, if you can help me to send a black rose bush i am even ready to pay for that ,, Regards,,,Hirde(heart) i can upload the pictures of seeds i have

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

All new varieties of roses are grown from seeds. To propagate an existing variety you need to do grafting or root cuttings. But to create a new variety you cross pollinate two different roses, let the hips mature and then plant the seeds inside to see what new roses you will get. So all rose breeder grow roses from seeds.

I would suggest that you collect some ripe hips from roses you have available and practice with those. It takes time to figure out how it works best for you. Once you have a method that works well and you have some success with creating new seedlings you can start to look for roses in that dark red color.

I have no idea what regulations would be involved in sending plant materials to India. You would probably be better off trying to find them there then trying to import them.

• hirdepal_singh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks a lot for repling but do you know any web site which sell plants not seeds ,, i will try to buy ,,,,because i won`t be able to collect seeds from my roses because i don`t know how to do this ,, or you may upload a video for me ,,how to collect seeds ecactly and how i can change the colour of the seeds i am growing ,, i know i am little pushy to you but i am only 1 and a half year old in gardening ,, previously my father was doing the thing but he was doing only traditional things like buying plants from nurseries ,, so kindly help me ,,,for this

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

I'm not familiar with nurseries that would ship to India. I don't think any of the USA or Canadian ones will. You should look for some in Europe or Australia maybe.

You CAN NOT change the color of the rose seeds. They will be what they will be. You can start breeding roses to get the color you are looking for but that could take decades to achieve.

If you do a search on here or on the internet about growing rose seeds you will find many threads explaining the process in detail. It isn't difficult but it does take time, practice and patience.

• gardentiller
    10 years ago

Hi hirdepal_singh:
    There are some nice dark red-almost black roses for you to collect: Bonne Nuit, Black Magic, Taboo, Black Beauty, Black Baccara, Black Jade and Robin Alonso.
    Try to cross among dark colored roses and saw the seeds harvested from your crossings. Just like Seil said, it take time, gather information, practice, sooner or later you will be rewarded by your hard working finding your own nice new varieties.

• rosynut
    10 years ago

I agree there is no such a thing as true black or blue roses. To grow roses from seeds takes time and patience as they will not just grow if you plant them. Google Henry Kuska to find articles on rose seeds and other methods of propagation.

• burhankhan90
    9 years ago

hello everyone

i am from uttarpradesh,India

i too have purchased rose seeds from ebay. but scared .After so much hard work will they germinate or not?? apart from that i want to know the right time when to plant rose seeds . . can i plant them in summer end ??

• amanda
    9 years ago

what u need is a shade tolerate dark red rose, gro it in the shade and every day water it with a mixture of black food coloring and water ..... the roses will bloom very dark red almost black ..

• Aiwin Benny
    8 years ago

hello

i am from kerala,india

how can get a black rose plant??

is it possible to grow a black rose plant???

anybody please advise me.I have no much experience in this.

anybody please help me

• Jessica Melgoza
    8 years ago

Buy white roses. Add black food coloring to water in vase and as your white roses drink water they will start to have black edges , the more food coloring to water the more color. Better than nothing.

• Crystal Morris
    7 years ago

If research has been done properly, you would know black roses do actually exist. They only grow in a small village in Turkey and are almost extinct. The village is trying to save the plant because they are very rare and very beautiful. They only blossom in the summer months. During the winter months they fade to a beautiful red color. The color then darkens to black once summer time hits. So those of you who have said they don't exist obviously have not done your homework. They are extremely rare and very beautiful. I don't think they Will ship you any of the roots or bushes to try and grow them yourself. From what I have learned the black rose requires a soil with high pH levels to successfully grow. I have some more research to do to find out the exact levels and how to properly mix the soil the black rose needs to grow. I also have black rose seeds that were given to me. I have yet to start germinating them because I want to be sure I have the soil done right otherwise they won't grow if they are true black rose seeds. With that being said, Google how to guides on how to properly wash and germinate the rose seeds before planting them in soil. Also, make sure it's you are planting them during the proper season. I grow many different types of plants and you really need to research the plant before you start to grow them. Some plants only grow well during certain seasons. Growing roses or any plant for that matter takes time patience and research. What works for one plant type may not work for another plant type. I live in FL so I grow primarily seeds that have great success in hot weather. Winter or fall plants don't grow well in FL because we don't get cold weather often. For example, poinsettias do not farewell in FL because it doesn't get cold enough for the plant to blossom properly. The flower very rarely turns the beautiful red we are accustomed to seeing them and if they do it's for a very short period of time since it doesn't stay cold here long enough. Same concept applies to the black rose. The research I dug up so far for growing them states they fair better in warmer temperatures then in colder climates. You have to germinate the seeds in the refrigerator for 6-8 wks. 8 wks is best. It is better to transfer the seeds to soil when it is warm outside, usually spring is what I have read is recommended. At that point it's not to hot but it isn't to cold and you may have a higher success rate. Again, you need to be sure the soil has the proper pH levels too. Black roses require soil with a higher than average pH lev to grow right. That's why they are going extinct in the Turkish villages they are native to. When the village relocated the soils pH was not as high as it was in the original village so the roses did not take as well. The village has been replanting them in parts of the old village in an attempt to save the plants. They have also had some success breeding the black roses in green houses they constructed in the same place the old village was located. If you truly want to grow black roses you need to do some more research on the plant. From what I have read it is one of the most difficult of all the roses to grow but it's worth it because they are the most beautiful roses I have seen.

• noacceptance772
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I'm sorry, Crystal, but YOU didn't do your homework ;)

The story of the halfeti black roses is a hoax, nothing more.

Even snopes has it: http://www.snopes.com/black-rose-village-turkey/

• User
    7 years ago

Crystal, you've been hornswoggled, like so many have when researching this subject. You can put your condescension in park now, dear.

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    7 years ago

Put it in park, but still stick around. Everyone makes mistakes. Crystal, I would still plant the rose seeds you have. It will be interesting to see what turns up.

• TaraMaiden
    7 years ago

Interesting that all the enquiries about black rose seeds came from India.... Hmmmm... I smell a rat. Don't know why. But the coincidence is just a little surprising....

• Allena Elizabeth
    7 years ago

Actually Noacceptance, black roses do exist, I've seen them personally. So maybe you haven't done your homework. ^^

• TaraMaiden
    7 years ago

Pictures, or it didn't happen! LOL!! In that case, Allena, you must know something the entire internet doesn't.... I have searched high and low for such a thing. Could you tell us a bit more about this black rose, please? Many thanks!

http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/flowers/roses/black-roses-blue-roses.htm

• noacceptance772
    7 years ago

Allena: where? It is only valid if it was attached to a bush, alive.

And certainly not spray painted? or dipped? or dyed?

• mohandjtiwari666
    7 years ago

I wanted to grow black rose. So which type soil is important and how i should grow ?

• Praveen S
    7 years ago

I am from India as well read some of the comments above, I have brought some roses from china which said black and white roses and rainbow roses, I know they are completely fake but the best thing is that even if a single rose grows from those seeds it will be a great success for me. Yes they are rose seeds as I can distinguish from their shape and size.

They do need some cold period in fridge I have kept them in moist soil for 3 weeks nothing happened so I am now keeping them in fridge red white, orange whatever color they end up in I will be happy to accept.

• HU-264742439
    2 years ago

I understand that that a true black rose grows only in one part of Turkey