Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ptgrose

Exchanging pollen

ptgrose
16 years ago

I was wondering if people exchange pollen on this forum?

I want to try a specific cross this year. I could buy the plant this spring, but it would take 3 or 4 years before it would bloom. I thought this would be a good alternative to speed up the process.

Paul

Comments (6)

• lookin4you2xist
    16 years ago

Let me know what you are looking for I may be able to help with pollen. I would be looking for pollen from repeat ramblers, mosses , and spotted roses, as well as various stripes.

• ptgrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The pollen I'm looking for is from either R.moyesii "Geranium" or R.moyesii "Highdownensis". I know that they are long shots as there aren't many people that grow these roses. I did find two "possible" sources for "Geranium", but they aren't a sure thing. Also I broke down and ordered a "Highdownenesis", but it won't bloom for several years.

The two stripped roses I have are Grimaldi and Moores Striped Rugosa. I have one moss, it is the single moss that Sequoia was selling as Communis. I also have a Henri Martin on order, but it probably won't bloom for a few years.
    I don't think I have any spotted roses. Dorcus is quite stippled though, but it was terrible for black spot last year. Why I didn't shovel prune it I don't know. But I think that is the only one I have with stipling.

I don't have any ramblers, but I have several Polyantha. Not quite the same thing, but they are repeat blooming diploids.
    I have a OP seedling of Robin Hood this year that is growing like a weed, it doesn't fit under the grow lights any more. It's warming up fast, I'll be able plant to plant it outside soon. It'll be interesting to see how big it gets.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    16 years ago

Playing with pollen is something we haven't quite gotten to yet. However, we're willing to live on the wild side if you are willing to give instructions.

To be rather specific, this is what I'm talking about.
    {{gwi:1236971}}

I bought it as Geranium, and haven't really had reason to doubt the ID, though moyesii are undoubtably very confused in commerce. The camera had trouble with reds, so the flower color is completely wrong. In real life, it's a 'blacklight' red, if you remember such things from the '70's.

It blooms main season here. The date on the photograph is 5/31/06, and I've got Quadra pictures from a couple of days later.

• ptgrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I know exactly what you're talking about. I graduated from high school in the late 70's. So yes, that is exactly what I was looking for. The bloom date is perfect also, as my earliest blooms are from late May to early June.

I've attached a link to some excellent instructions that Henry Kuska made. If you are willing to give this a try, this is what I would like you to do. You can follow the instructions for collecting pollen and drying it. Or you can do like I do, leave the pollen in the container partially covered on the kitchen counter for 24 to 48 hours to dry as I don't have any calcium chloride to use. If you have a small container, like a 35mm film canister, put the pollen into it to dry and to mail in. If you don't have a small container, I can mail you a film canister to use.

Was there any thing you were looking for in exchange? If not, I can pay for the postage to mail it to me.

Thank you,
    Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: Pollen Collection

• ptgrose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mad Gallica,
    I'm still interested in Geranium pollen if your willing to to send me some. I can send you a list of roses I have if there is anything you want in exchange. If not, I can pay for postage. Let me know if this is something you would like to do.

Thanks
    Paul

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    15 years ago

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you. I had to survive my garden association's annual plant sale first.

Geranium has started to bloom. I'll pick the flowers and prepare the pollen today. While I'm doing this, do you have any interest in Altaica pollen?

Email me. There isn't a link to email you on your member page.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths