Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does anyone grow new seedlings in straight perlite?

Posted by mmmgonzo z7 OR (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 15, 07 at 10:39

Hi all :)

I think I remember seeing a picture of someone who had a seedling that was planted in straight perlite.

I just have this thing thinking seedlings should be planted in soil.. if you do use perlite only, can you tell me the advantages? Does it improve damping off statistics?

I appreciate the repsonses, I am starting to wonder if I just imagined the whole thing.

Thanks,
Marleah

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does anyone grow new seedlings in straight perlite?

I had great luck with a 50/50 blend of perlite and play sand, for the cuttings I took last year, from my golden chain tree...I have new baby trees with leaves coming out now..so, it's next on my list this week, to do the same with the rose cuttings.
I know I'll be using a rooting hormone and sticking them right into the pot, with that mixture in it.

I don't like to try and get roots from leaving them in water..
if it wasn't for so many other cuttings of other things that I'm doing right now...(apple blossom and photinia) I would be out there doing the roses.

Becky

o

I just used straight perlite on my first try.
I saw it online somewhere, and it worked for me! It is supposed to hold water better, and I guess thats what its all about, keeping roots damp. I'll try it again. I also read straight sand works well.

o

EXCERPT FROM MY ARTICLE :(Cuttings from Cuttings.....

Here is a link that might be useful: Cuttings from Cuttings, from Cuttings...

o
RE: My excerpt did not go in ! Here it is now !

Sorry, my excerpt did not go in !
Hope it works now ?
1. I am now using a special, ready made, commercial planting mix which comes in bales like peat moss. I believe this mix has made the difference in getting 100 % rooted cuttings. It is called " Sunshine Mix Aggregate Plus #4 ". It's major components are Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss, Perlite, Dolomite Limestone (pH adjuster) and a wetting agent. In Canada it is made by "Fisons Horticulture Inc." and in the US by "Sun Gro Horticulture Inc." [Web site: www.SunGro.com]. My damp-off losses are way, way down to only 2-3 %, some varieties 0 %, since I now use only this mix for all my seed germination and for potting up my seedlings.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here