Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rooting Noisette cuttings

Posted by melissa_thefarm NItaly (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 4, 07 at 10:48

I have a fair degree of success rooting roses, mostly old and shrub varieties, but do poorly with Noisettes as a class. I would have thought they wouldn't be that difficult. Usually I root semi-hardwood cuttings over the winter in a cold greenhouse and plant them out after a year; or I root softwood cuttings in pots over the summer or fall. I don't use rooting hormones, and while my methods are crude, they work a good deal of the time. Not for Noisettes, however. Any hints? Thanks.

Melissa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rooting Noisette cuttings

I don't know what the problem could be. I guess you have checked to make sure the cuttings are not too wet, or too dry, or too anything else. I haven't ever noticed the noisettes as being harder than other classes.

The only hint I can offer is to make sure they are plenty hot.... noisettes seem to really like the heat and humidity of the South.

I hope you'll have better luck with your next batch of cuttings!

Allison

o
RE: Rooting Noisette cuttings

Thanks, Allison. Maybe I haven't been paying enough attention. I tend to take Noisette cuttings casually, when I break off a cane for example. I don't try to root climbers/ramblers much, being afraid of getting four or five lively plants of some enormous climber. Perhaps I should have a try next summer, keeping in mind your words about heat. For what it's worth, Teas and Chinas do fine when I root them over the winter.

Melissa

P.S. How's your garden going?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here