Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hummersteve

Rose Propagation in the ground?

hummersteve
11 years ago

I have attempted every method I have seen or heard without success including the newspaper wrap that some have used. So One time I watched a person on you tube I think. He dug a hole about a foot deep . Used a large coffee can , cut out the bottom and put his cutting in some decent soil in this can which was sunk in that hole maybe just below ground, poured some water in the area put the lid on the can and then forgot about it till spring maybe april/may. When he uncovered it he had success. This is what I have attemted. I put mine in the ground late last summer/fall not sure of the exact time. So in another few weeks I will uncover and see what I have if anything. If this fails I will assume my particular rose cant be duplicated. I dont know what kind I have.

Comments (6)

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just watched another vid on you tube today from bridgestreetnursery and Im now in the process of doing that one. So at about the same time I will have the results on both methods.

• roseseek
    11 years ago

Steve, my first successes in rooting roses were in a cold frame put against the foundation of the house on the north side where there was strong reflected, but no direct sun. I planted hard wood cuttings in a combination of earth and potting soil then sealed them inside with heavy mil plastic I stapled to the wooden box I made to enclose them. Most worked!

The next successes were in fifteen gallon nursery cans with opaque, hard plastic sides made from the cylinders Gurney Seed used to sell for over wintering roses. All potting soil, those opaque plastic strips (about a foot tall) inserted inside to increase the height and permit in more light, all covered over the top with a large plastic bag. They worked! Both functioned like terrariums so they never required extra moisture. Both methods were during the cooler, dimmer part of the year with dormant cuttings and no foliage. And, both succeeded in a cooler winter, more arid environment than my current one. Here, those methods result in gray to black, moldy sticks. I know, I've tried every permutation of them I can think of.

Perhaps if you could explain what you did and how it didn't work, some of us might be able to offer diagnoses of why and possible solutions? Keep exploring and experimenting, by all means, but it might well be that a few simple tweaks may help you succeed with some of the other methods, too. The more tools you have at your disposal, the better! Kim

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

My first successful rooting was a cane of Memphis Blues that I accidentally broke off the plant while working in the yard. I was heart sick about it so I cut it in pieces and stuck them in the ground. That's it. No domes or anything. Just pushed 4 sticks into the soil. Of the four pieces only one rooted but I still have it and it's doing great!

Now I grow them in clear cups with seed starter soil. I have upped my success ratio to about half of what I stick. Keeping them evenly moist is the real key to getting them to take. If I had misters that would help but I don't so I just keep a close watch on the cups to keep them from drying out.

• ruthz
    11 years ago

I've been able to root some by sticking hardwood cuttings in the ground in my raised beds or a pot with regular potting soil. I've only gotten this to work if I start them in October or November. If I try to root my February cuttings, it eventually gets too hot and they die even if they were doing well and putting out new leaves.

• dave_k_gw
    10 years ago

I've started several new roses over the years by just placing a cutting in-ground, with a little rooting powder. Sealing the top end with waterproof Elmers glue seems to help avoid dehydration. Any time during the growing season seems to work, so long as it's not too hot and dry. New, soft tips don't work for me, but this year's growth is fine if it's somewhat woody. All leaves are removed except a single small one or a portion.

• kittymoonbeam
    10 years ago

You could try what I did. Build a platform and put some sandy potting soil in a pot which you have cut a u shaped notch in ( half way down on both sides) Remove leaves and apply rooting hormone and lay the stem across the pot through the notches and fill with sandy mix. Let the mother plant keep it alive until roots form. You can't do so many this way, but one is better than none.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?