Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
the_dark_lady

2013 Seedlings are about to bloom

the_dark_lady
11 years ago

My seedlings are about to open their first blooms. One of my dogs knocked down my well-organized packets of seeds and 'played' with them. So, now I don't know whose babies I am growing. They are all 'Assorted Roses' :)

Here are four of about a dozen with flower buds:

This one has the largest bud (about 1/2")

This is of nice bright red color, but shows proliferation in the center

This is the darkest of all. Almost black

And this one has very interesting deeply serrated foliage and cluster of buds (I counted seven!). And this is just the first flowering. I think, it is very promising

Also have this baby. Very 'bushy', has five flower buds, one in each lateral. Extremely good looking seedling.

Comments (50)

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

How exciting! They really look healthy. I have a few germinations but nothing close to blooming yet.

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, Seil. Yes, I am very excited to see the flowers.
    Since I don't have parentage information, it will be like opening Christmas gifts! :)
    Marina

• TNY78
    11 years ago

They look great! I haven't gotten into growing roses from seed, and I keep saying I need to try it! Maybe this fall after I get some nice hips. I can't wait to see some more pictures when they bloom!

ps...understand the dog thing...one of mine knocked over one of my zipper greenhouses last week and dumped all of my rooted cuttings. I think I got them back in the right cups...but I won't know until they bloom for sure :(

Tammy

• canadian_rose
    11 years ago

Wow!!
    Please keep showing us pics of your seedlings as they continue to progress. It's like starting a book and not finishing it if we don't get to see how they mature and grow. I find this very exciting!!
    Carol

• avalon2007
    11 years ago

This is exciting! Please post follow-up pictures- really would like to see how they turn out.

Your post also reminded me that I need to move my seed packets out of harm's way- cats!

Question: How long did it take, after germination, for those babies to bloom?

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Avalon, my seeds started to sprout in mid-January.
    Here are a few recent photos:

• canadian_rose
    11 years ago

So beautiful!!! The first one is exquisite!! Wow!!
    Love, love the color.
    Carol

• growing_rene2
    11 years ago

Beautiful! I love the different tones of purple!

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Later in the day :)

• pdsavage
    11 years ago

Love the purple one.

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Took a day trip to Roses Unlimited to pick up my Spring order. Of course, found there a few 'extras' in addition to my order:)

Came home after 9pm and checked my babies for progress.

I've got two today. The color is very interesting - light purple/mauve/dark rose. The fragrance is to die for - pure rose attar. Strong and sweet.

This one has eight buds on the bush, but only one opened today.

This one has five buds on the bush, the flower is much larger and it looks like it has more petals, too. Probably tomorrow will open completely.

• avalon2007
    11 years ago

Outstanding!

Both of those roses are pretty, but I think the one in the first picture is just lovely- the form and color are both so attractive. And rose attar scented? Perfect, what luck!

I really hope that rose survives and thrives, for very selfish reasons. I'm gonna bug you for a cutting when it's a few years old!

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Avalon, thank you very much for the compliments!
    I am feeling very lucky this year, so far I've seen three really good ones.
    And, you are welcome to 'bug' me about cutting - I will be honored!
    Marina

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    11 years ago

Marina, you are truly blessed!
    Susan

• canadian_rose
    11 years ago

SO inspiring!! Just gorgeous!!
    Carol

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you very much, Susan and Carol!
    My fourth seedling with seven buds is about couple of days away from opening. I am anxious to see the color.

So far, below is my favorite seedling - pretty color, strong fragrance, lots of petals, bushy growth and good number of buds. It lasted over a week on the 'bush' :)

This post was edited by the_dark_lady on Sun, Mar 24, 13 at 13:51

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

Just beautiful, Marina! When can I buy one, lol?

• g-in-fl
    11 years ago

Gosh, Marina, I've always heard that it takes thousands of seedlings to come up with anything really good. Your favorite seedling sure looks really good to me.
    I bet you've inspired a lot of us to start collecting hips!
    Congratulations!
    Gracin

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Seil and Gracin!
    Gracin, I think I am having a syndrome of 'amateur luck' this year:)

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

I have to agree with, Gracin. I've been doing seeds for about 6 years now and I'm still getting 5 petaled pink ones and nothing much else. You have a gift!

• roseteacher
    11 years ago

Wow! That is so amazing. I just decided this year that I want to try seeding. Yours are amazing and make me so excited to begin. Did you just collect mature hips, or did you pollinate specific roses? Congratulations on your beauties!
    Lisa

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, Lisa!
    Yes, I just collect hips, no intentional crosses. I like it the easy way!:)))
    Marina

• Grantgarden2 Zone 5a/b
    10 years ago

I LOVE that purple flower!

• Grantgarden2 Zone 5a/b
    10 years ago

I LOVE that purple flower!

• winnie13
    10 years ago

wow, thats a really nice color seedling, great form too.
    please put me on the bugging list for cuttings for hips from this rose :) Thanks!

Winnie

• Kippy
    10 years ago

wow!! How amazing! Very pretty

• bluegirl_gw
    10 years ago

Those. are. just. BEAUTIFUL!!! Wow! congratulations!

• erasmus_gw
    10 years ago

I love the purple one too. Are you going to name it? I grow op seedlings and have been pleasantly surprised with some of them. I am told it is very hard to come up with a good seedling, especially among op seedlings, but I have had a little amateur luck too. I think many of the new introductions in the 1800's were op seedlings. Some were not so good and some were.
    Linda

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you very much for your kind comments.

Linda, I don't know yet. If the seedling survives and grows to a decent plant, I might think about naming it. Although, it is so much like it's mother (Ebb Tide), I don't think it's worth attention.

I am a little behind with posting progress on my babies. OK, it's a catch up time:)

I have couple of interesting ones from 'Blue for You', both have that warm clove fragrance.

This seedling is of very delicate blend of white/green/pink. It holds to it's cup shaped bloom for over a week.

This one is a few days from opening

One of 'Ebb Tide's babies gave me another flower.

This one is from it's sibling

I already planted all the babies in the ground. Will be interesting to see them blooming again.

This post was edited by the_dark_lady on Sat, Apr 13, 13 at 14:40

• overdrive
    10 years ago

that is totally unreal - i am completely stunned! paul m.

• QuestioningSerenity
    10 years ago

Oh wow! those color's are so beautiful!

I bet you'll have plenty of people 'bugging' you for cuttings in a couple years from these beauties!

• Alana8aSC
    10 years ago

I love the almost black one! and the white/green/ pink one and the one under it look very interesting as well. Keep us updated!

• mmmgonzo
    10 years ago

I am bumping this up to see if you have any new blooms to share with us?

I love your pictures of your new babies :)

Marleah

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you very much, everybody!
    Yes, I did have couple of new babies.
    I don't know the parentage of this one. Deeply cupped bloom, lots of petals, strong rose fragrance, large size. The bloom lasted for a week on the 'bush'.

This one is from 'Blue for You'. Very pretty and long lasting.

• growing_rene2
    10 years ago

I love the purple one with the faint stripes, it is gorgeous. I hope it is still doing well. Looking forward to the name!

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

They're all so lovely, Marina! I'm so amazed at how many petals they have for first blooms. And such beautiful colors! It seems like mine are always 5 petaled pinks, lol!

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Seil, I am quite surprised myself by the fullness of the first flowers. Just an amateur luck!

• lil_bird
    10 years ago

Wish I ad your luck.What Beauty.Makes my heart skip a beat with envy. I will take any you don't want. I just may have to try .I always asumed it would take "forever" to get blooms.
    Thanks for sharing with us.
    Glenna

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, Glenna!
    Please try your own seeds, you will be greatly rewarded. On average, if I have germination after Christmas-early January, I will have blooms in early March (if used a seed from a repeat-blooming parent).
    I sow rose seeds every winter - great entertainment which helps winter seem much shorter :)
    Marina

• JeffPine
    10 years ago

Thanks for sharing your experiences growing these sublime roses. Your photos are superb. Now I'm inspired to try this for myself :)

• auntlavender
    10 years ago

These are really wonderful! I adore looking at pictures of seedling blooms.

• Tina_n_Sam
    10 years ago

Marina,

Thank you for posting these lovely pictures and your experience.

All of your seedlings look so healthy. What an excellent green thumb you have!

I did not know that such beautiful colors existed in roses.

I cannot decide which color is my favorite but the different purple tones are breath taking.

Please share where you buy your seeds?

-Tina

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry for being late - I haven't checked this forum for a while.
    Thank you, everybody, for your kind comments. I really appreciate them!

Tina, I don't buy seeds. I collect rose hips from my own roses. I am not very meticulous on deadheading, so every year there is plenty of hips in the garden:)

Marina

• senjanevada
    10 years ago

I bought rose seeds online. No success at all.

Now, I saw pretty much seed pods in my own roses. From seeds to sprout, how long it will take and how long to bloom?

This is will be my first experience growing rose from seeds.

Thanks.

• jlynn
    10 years ago

Wow! your roses are amazing! very inspiring!

• rosynut
    10 years ago

My first attempt at growing roses from seeds was quite successful and I have two in the trail grounds. I just harvested the seeds pods from the garden removed the seeds, put them in a plastic bag in the fridge for one month. But after the first success nothing since. Nothing sprouted at all. This season I put the seeds directly in a soil medium of compost, palm peat and perlite, added a tiny bit of household bleach in water to the mixture and placed the small plastic container in the vegetable drawer of the fridge for 2 months. Took them out and placed the container on a sunny window sill. Success! I have 15 baby roses for the first time in about 5 years!

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Congratulations! They look quite healthy.

• Valcine
    10 years ago

Your babies are beautiful! I especially love the purple and bi-colored roses. Great job!

• NewGirlinNorCal
    10 years ago

I was wondering- whatever happened to the seedling with the cup-shaped flower? Is that it's final flower form? Because I think that one is amazing.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm