Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
desertdance

Rooting Rose Cuttings in Damp Sphagnum?

I'm pretty new to this forum, but not new to rooting cuttings.

We have a vineyard, and I root grape cuttings easily in damp sphagnum. Also Fig cuttings. Cake!!

Now we are moving, and I need some roses at the end of each vineyard row. Roses act as the canary in the mine.. Any disease or pest will attack the rose first, so we can get right on the problem prior to losing the vines. I have several roses at this house, and wish to propagate cuttings.

NEWSPAPER is not made any more where we live, and what is there has colored ink, which is not good for rooting, so I have heard.

I root both grapes and figs in damp sphagnum moss. This is not sphagnum peat. Its the long fiber stuff. And yes, I wring it out until it is barely damp. It has anti-mold properties. I make a "burrito" by wrapping the damp sphagnum, with cuttings inside with a dry paper towel, then rolling in plastic baggies, and putting in the dark. This works great with grape cuttings and fig tree cuttings.

Has anyone tried it with roses? If not, I'll be the first one to try. I'll wait till the blooms die, and do one variety a day. If you have done this, and it works, please share your experiences.

Suzi

Comments (3)