Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rooting Rose Cuttings in Damp Sphagnum?

Posted by desertdance So.CA Zone 19 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 28, 13 at 12:05

I'm pretty new to this forum, but not new to rooting cuttings.

We have a vineyard, and I root grape cuttings easily in damp sphagnum. Also Fig cuttings. Cake!!

Now we are moving, and I need some roses at the end of each vineyard row. Roses act as the canary in the mine.. Any disease or pest will attack the rose first, so we can get right on the problem prior to losing the vines. I have several roses at this house, and wish to propagate cuttings.

NEWSPAPER is not made any more where we live, and what is there has colored ink, which is not good for rooting, so I have heard.

I root both grapes and figs in damp sphagnum moss. This is not sphagnum peat. Its the long fiber stuff. And yes, I wring it out until it is barely damp. It has anti-mold properties. I make a "burrito" by wrapping the damp sphagnum, with cuttings inside with a dry paper towel, then rolling in plastic baggies, and putting in the dark. This works great with grape cuttings and fig tree cuttings.

Has anyone tried it with roses? If not, I'll be the first one to try. I'll wait till the blooms die, and do one variety a day. If you have done this, and it works, please share your experiences.

Suzi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rooting Rose Cuttings in Damp Sphagnum?

Suzi, as long as the moisture content is appropriate, the material to cutting contact sufficient and the bundle is properly sealed (which I'd expect, given your success with the other types), I don't see why it SHOULDN'T work. I don't know how easily grapes root, as I've never tried them, but anything "fig" roots like the weeds they are. Many roses do, too. Give it a try! As I said, I don't see why it shouldn't work. Good luck! Please let us know how they do for you.

My only concern would be time of year and how far the roses have already pushed. My window is already closed as the roses are leafed out and beginning to flower heavily. As long as yours are still "dormant" and not pushing new growth and flowers, they should work like the paper wraps. Kim

o

As for the material of sphagnum itself, I had luck with it in the first 2 months of my first cuttings, but then these with most of my others died. I think the material was fine and the problem was me and overwatering. They were leafing out beautifully before the snails ate their leaves and I compensated with more water.

o

Kim, Thanks for your post and worries about the non-dormant thing. Mine are definitely blooming, and per the post referenced at the bottom, I am only using spent blooms with a heel attached for my big sphagnum experiment.

I'd use newspaper, except it no longer exists around here.

My other option would be to graft onto some existing stock at the new place.

I'm now waiting for the blooms to fade!

Suzi

Here is a link that might be useful: Newspaper Burrito method

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here