Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cwatson89

Is this a seedling?

cwatson89
11 years ago

I'm use to growing roses from cuttings and placing them in soil and growing that way but I just happened to check on my mini rose plant this morning that I've had for almost a year and I spot this tiny sprout int he container...what is it? could it be a rose sprout? There's nothing else around that would place seeds in it.

Comments (21)

• TNY78
    11 years ago

Was the mini rose previously in that container? If so, it may be growing back from its roots if part of a root remained in the dirt. Definitley a rose though :)

• cwatson89
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No but I put it in this container from its original container that was much smaller. this container was clean dry before i used it and I just took the soil I was already using in the smaller container and added it to this one with more soil from the store. At first when I saw It I was like O.o what kind of sorcery is this?! haha

• cwatson89
    Original Author
    11 years ago

not sure if it matters but it looks as if it has 4 leaves. i thought seedlings only have 2?

• roseseek
    11 years ago

Usually rose seedlings have only two cotyledons (seed leaves) though some have only one and I've seen up to four. After that, they generate their first true rose leaves. Your plant is a rose sprout, most likely from the mini planted where that one sprang up. Kim

• cwatson89
    Original Author
    11 years ago

so it'll be the same type of rose or a entirely new breed? I usually just grow by the stems, i've never experimented with pollination or any of that before.

• roseseek
    11 years ago

It would be the same rose which was already growing in that pot. Nothing about that plant indicates it is a seedling, or new variety. It looks simply as if it is a shoot of an already existing plant in that soil. Kim

• cwatson89
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The only thing thats ever been in this soil is the rose in the picture but whats weird is ive felt around under the seedling and theres no stem or anything so if it is a stem then its most likely a extremely tiny limb. this rose plant is never taken outside, i keep it in my window next to my computer desk so a seed couldn't have fallen in. I'll just have to wait till it gets bigger to fully tell.

• harmonyp
    11 years ago

So Kim - how do you distinguish at this point a seedling versus a shoot? I have a few volunteer roses this year, and I'm presuming none are seedlings as I've been such a diligent deadheader, and in the past, rarely let any hips set.

• roseseek
    11 years ago

If this was a seedling from this year, there probably would be no branching. The plant would be a single shoot from the ground until it forms a crown with basal branching. It would likely be much thinner and softer, as you would expect from an immature, baby plant. What is growing in this pot appears to have been a stem which was cut off just above the current soil level where it began branching. You can see at least two further pruning cuts above the original one just above the soil, resulting in branching of new growth, just like you see on your garden roses. Had this been a plant from seed, there would likely be a crown with basals forming the new plant instead of a single stem emerging from the soil with branching from pruning cuts. What is there appears to either be a cutting grown plant, or one which resulted from a pruned cane.

IF it is a seedling, I would expect there to BE a plant crown. From the girth of the material and development of the cutting, I would expect it to be two or more years old, if this is also a miniature rose. I would also have expected that had it been a seedling differing from the original plant, the person growing it would probably have noticed something different in the pot and taken note. I believe the chances are far greater that this was a piece of the original plant which remained alive under the soil and has regenerated once conditions improved. Much like the report of Jackie's garden miracle where her seemingly dead rose regenerated from the roots. Kim

• cwatson89
    Original Author
    11 years ago

learn something new everyday,lol. the pic you posted Kim, thats the original mini rose plant, in the original pic tot he right of this plant is the tiny sprout i was curious about. I've dug it up and checked under it and havnt found anything so its confusing what it could be to me,lol

• roseseek
    11 years ago

Cwatson, I apologize! I scoured that photo several times and what you were trying to draw attention to kept looking like a mossy piece of perlite to me. Yes, your suspicions are correct. THIS is a seedling. Kim

• cwatson89
    Original Author
    11 years ago

sorry if the picture didnt show a clear picture, maybe this one will help. I was trying tot get the mini rose and the seedling in the plant to maybe help people trying to figure it out. I know the mini rose blooms what looks like a hybrid red tea rose, maybe a lincoln or proud land, but the seedling stumped me because ive never dealt with rose seedling sbefore only cuttings and was like O.o need helppppp haha

• TNY78
    11 years ago

Ohhhh! Disregard what I said too...I was also looking at the plant. No wonder I was confused :)

Very neat little seedling...Im interested to see what it becomes!

Tammy

• TNY78
    11 years ago

Ohhhh! Disregard what I said too...I was also looking at the plant. No wonder I was confused :)

Very neat little seedling...Im interested to see what it becomes!

Tammy

• cwatson89
    Original Author
    11 years ago

haha, it's my fault, i should've posted a clearer picture of the seedling or at least drew a circle around it,lol. I'm interested as well, it has me very curious and I've been watching it ever since it randomly popped up from no where.

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

Yes, that's a seedling, but not a rose, sorry. The newer leaves in that last picture are all wrong for a rose seedling. It could have blown in from your yard or it could have been in the potting soil. I get strange things coming up in my potting soil all the time. Even new bags of it. It's probably just a weed but it you're curious pot it up and see what it turns into.

I did have a couple of sprouts in my seedling trays this year that turned out to be pepper plants!

• cwatson89
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was hoping it was a rose seedling :( I'll just let it grow and see what it forms anyway :P Is there anyway you can just get rose seeds and grow them? or do you have to do something different?

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

If you don't dead head all the spent blooms on your roses and let them form hips you can get seeds to plant. The hips need at least 90 days, and better at 120, to mature. Then you cut them open and remove the seeds inside. Do a search on here to find out how to grow them. It's not hard but is lengthy to explain. It's a lot of fun and, for me, something rosey to do in the winter!

• cwatson89
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What do you mean dead head?

• cwatson89
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And here's the seedlings growth after only a week and a few days. Still no idea what it is but it's thriving and all I do is spray a mist of water on it and turn on a grow light. It loves sun cause when the lights not on durign the day it tries to go for my window like in the pic, but when the lights on it'll move on it's own after a few to the light and basically demand it.

• lola-lemon
    11 years ago

This was a funny thread to read-- I too didn't see the seedling only saw the unmentioned, yet obvious, elephant in the pot : a rooted cutting of a rose!! (complete with pruning marks)
    --- didn't know if the fellow was pulling our leg or a little slow. LOL.

simple context mixup can be good for a little laugh.

There is a name that plant forum here on gardenweb where people like to guess your plant. Now that you have true leave, if you snap a shot of them (not the cotyledon leaves) I bet you could get an answer on what this is.

Here is a link that might be useful: Name your plant