Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
akaj9

Newbie questions

akaj9
14 years ago

I saved a Foruniana rose bush from a bulldozer 8 years ago, with the full intent to Prop. roses for FL on Fortuniana Rootstock. I have basic questions about things I've been reading...probably silly, but I need to know none the less. Going to set up a misting table. Would like to start with 100 cuttings, Fort, Louis Phillipe and some old garden roses. I'm in Central Florida. Misting table in full sun, with late afternoon shade? Is this suppose to be open to all the elements? Because it rains alot here in the summer? I have a raised landscape timber bed 8X16, going to use one end as the misting area/table, Wire mesh with Block legs table, course sand in clear plastic cups with drainage holes...is that okay? Once I see roots, how long till I transplant into containers? Where can I get those long skinny containers for roses? Can I just set all the containers into the rest of the bed with reg. irrigation. How long should I grow the Fort. before attempting grafting? How long growing own root before they are ready to plant out or share? I'm sure there are a bizillian other questions...any suggestions are most appreciated. I love my roses, and have always dreamed of doing this...I really want to make it work.

Comments (13)

• akaj9
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh, and what mix do you transplant into?

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    14 years ago

You have so many questions, most of us do not wish to spend that much time. There are many good texts available on the propagation techniques, and I would suggest you check your local library to see what they have. If you wish to build your own reference library, asking for suggestions would bring lots of replies. Al

• akaj9
    Original Author
    14 years ago

alrighty then....thanks for your time

• saldut
    14 years ago

There is a Zimmerman at Hartwood Roses has video and instructions but I don't think he uses a misting table, he uses a pop-bottle on the top, you might want to look it over anyway... also there have been explanations on rooting here in the past, also on the Antique rose Forum , also on the Rose Forum... and maybe you can use Google with different queries abt. rooting & misting tables, etc. I hope you are going to graft some Antique and OGRs on Fort., there are none in the market that I can find, and the only ones doing it are the students at Fla. Southern College in Lakeland, I am a Member of the Central Fla. Heritage Rose Society and Dr. Malcolm Manners is the Head of the Hort. Dept. there and when they have enough available, the Society auctions them off to the Members.... I myself would buy some from you, especially Polyanthas, as well as some of the Antiques and OGRs, I just cannnot find any on Fort. There is a fellow here in St Pete is doing grafting on Fort. of Mini's and he uses a misting table, he has posts on this Forum ..... looking4you2exist .... Andrew .......Let me know if all this helps and I'll see if I can find anything specific for the misting table method..... sally

• akaj9
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I actually spent about 6 hours straight yesterday and some the day before reading everything on here, I'm more knowledgable at the procedure than you may think, just do not have experience. Most of what I'm doing was from what I have researched on here. Didn't mean to give the impression I was using anyone as a library. I was just trying to confirm things I had learned really. I have spoken with lookin4u (very nice), and I have extensively read about propogating and stenting, on and off line and this forum. I just had a few questions for those that have been really successful and experienced. Example: EVERYTHING I read has said Perlite and peat, but on here it was course sand, wanted to confirm sand was better :) I could find nowhere when to transplant to a larger pot, cept one lady said three roots. I never meant to imply that someone sit and answer every question. On other forums I frequent, people just pop in and give you their ideas, what they may know, answer a question then move on. Maybe those forums just have more traffic. I figured it was best to throw them all out there in one post rather then have a few running. I have rooted roses before, but that was by pushing them in the ground with a mason jar. I was successful with a few. I was trying to get a little more serious this time and on a larger scale. I really have never had a reaction like that before in a forum. I was very surprised. I frequent Garden, pond, Koi, and Bird forums all the time, it just caught me offguard. Believe me I have educated myself on the subject, was looking for a little support is all.
    Sally you are still more than welcome to my Fort rose cuttings.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    14 years ago

I don't have prop experience, but you might want to check out the Rose Hybridizers Association (Google it), they have a forum, and would have answers. Most people here don't propagate on such a large scale.

The containers are called "Bands" and you can Google for wholesalers.

• saldut
    14 years ago

Hi akaj9- If you do get going on the grafting thing and have some Polyanthas on Fort., or some Antiques or OGRs, please put me on your customer list, I would like to buy some..... sounds like you have the information to get going on it, why don't you just 'take the plunge', after all , a journey starts with the first step, or something like that.... and thank you for the Fort. cuttings offer but I'm not very good at it, I already lost a bunch of cuttings, I need to master the skill of getting them to grow before I do the Fort. and I am working on that... I took some cuttings today and put them in pots out in the back of my rose bed, to see if I can do better this time around, I made the mix more than half perlite and the other part seed-starter mix, and dipped them in Rootone..... I read that if they do take I should see some roots in abt. 3 weeks, so will keep watch....if I am able to get some of these to grow I will 'graduate' to the Fort..... good luck on your endeavor, keep us posted, sally

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    14 years ago

It is possible to see some rose cuttings grow roots in as little as three weeks, but that is rare and should not be expected. The structure of the cutting mix is what is important, more so than than the ingredients. What ever is used should contain ample amounts of air, with the minimum of water. The whole cutting needs to be kept in an atmosphere approaching 100% percent humidity to prevent the cutting losing energy through drying. If you are doing a large quantity a mist system, which necessarily is in a contained enclosure, temperature controlled, is the easiest. For a home gardener doing a few cuttings, not in a enclosed area, tenting will work as well. The point is there are many ways to succeed with cuttings, and hundred of books have been devoted to the subject. I am sorry if my answer seemed short, it was not intended. Al

• saldut
    14 years ago

Thank you Al, You have been a fountain of information and every time I posted a message for help you have responded, other than actually coming to my house and showing me in person 'how to ' I don't know what else you could do.... and I myself have tried to follow your advice, and I keep trying because I know eventually I'll 'get it'...... every rose-grower has a different method of handling cuttings, one lady said she just stuck them in the ground in a shady place where the rain from the roof would keep them moist, and reported success.... I think the weather and atmosphere and the area have a lot to do with it, and here in central Fla. it is a lot different than Calif. or Minn. or wherever...... anyway, I appreciate all your assistance and advice because it has been a tremendous help, Thank you, sally

• sjgardengal
    14 years ago

I have good successes just sticking several canes(5-6")with several nodes into a gal size pot. I don't cover them with plastic bag. It's kept in a shady spot and mist 2-3x per week depending on weather. After about 1 month, you can jog the canes gently. If they don't move, they have rooted. You'll also see new leaves sprouting up from the leaf node. The trick is to keep the potting medium moist and in shade. I use the store bought potting soil or compost. This method works better in spring time. In summer, it gets too dry here in No. Ca. If you provide humidity, it will take faster.

See the link below on the ziplock method. You can see the roots growing in this method. I have not use this method for roses but currently trying it with Camellia.

Good Luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: rose cutting progation using ziplock bags

• collinw
    14 years ago

I use the ziplock method, except I put them in bands that i then put in the bags. So, when you move them around the roots are not disturbed. I would say that I have about a 75% success rate. But for large scale production this method would get tedious.

• iluvgardens
    13 years ago

I did cuttings last year for the first time. I used the method from Hartwood roses that she has on her web site with the pop bottle for the top. I did the cuttings late summer on some rare roses that my mother has that you can no longer buy. The key for me was to put them in an area with indirect light because if they got too much light they would burn and die. I used promix bx as my medium and used root hormone before putting in the promix. Since I did the cuttings late summer and I live in Missouri...I brought them in the basement and put under lights over winter. It kept them dormant during that time with little growth. I brought them outside about three weeks ago and it took about 10 days for them to "harden up" or get used to the outside. Now they are growing very well. When I took them outside repotted in gallon pots and removed their cover then. About half of my cuttings made it. But...I think now I do have some new "old" roses. I have now Garden of the Worlds, Taboo, and 49nr. Good luck..I think you just need to try and see what method works best for you. I did the ziplock but no success..for me the pop container worked better.

• belle26101
    13 years ago

Hi akaj9....I understand where yopu're coming from. Alot of info on the net but you still want support in here. I am a newbie on gardening & understand completely! Good luck!!

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm