Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seil_gw

Germinations!

seil zone 6b MI
10 years ago

I'm getting some good germinations this year. So much better than last years really dismal handful. I don't know what the difference is but I have 48 in the tray and another 24 already up into cups! And TWO buds! Looking forward to having a lot of fun this season watching these babies grow and bloom!

Comments (17)

• bluegirl_gw
    10 years ago

I've gotten nothing. How long do you refrigerate? Do you do an enzyme soak before or after cold storage?

Nice looking tray of babies!

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I sort of refrigerate in two stages. The hips go into the fridge as is when I collect them. Then in January when things settle down from the holidays and I have more time I clean them and stratify them and they go back into the fridge. From that point it's around 6 weeks before I get my first germinations. I don't use any enzyme but I do use some hydrogen peroxide to clean them with and in the solution I dampen the paper towels with. It's supposed to keep the mold down but they always still get moldy anyway.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    10 years ago

That looks great seil! What kind of lights are you using? Do you use any bottom heat? Congrats!!!

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This year we got a new grow light on clearance and I think that's really helping. Previously I've just used regular fluorescent lights though. No heat either just the basement temps which are probably around 60 degrees.

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

I have a question about the lighting. Aren't the lights supposed to be about an inch from the seedlings?? That's the way I have mine set up. But this is my first time hybridizing - so am I doing that part wrong?

That is so exciting!!! I really hope I get some seedlings.
    Way to go!!
    Carol

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I can't get mine any closer with the lid on but the closer they are the better. If the light is too far away the plants will stretch out to reach it and become lanky and have weak stems.

• Kippy
    10 years ago

What fun! I discovered a baby under another of the roses, curious to see what it will be, but pretty confident it will not be good (under Simplicity)

Hope you got the hips I mailed. (not Simplicity...lol)

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, Kippy didn't I email you back? I'm so sorry! Yes, I did get the hips, thank you, and some of these babies may be from them!

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    10 years ago

Seil, thanks for the update!

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My first one opened today! An OP from the polyantha Pookah. There are several more buds that will open soon too.

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

Oh!!! I ADORE!! that color of pink. And there are at least two more buds (from the same plant???). Man that's amazing!!
    Carol

• rosynut
    10 years ago

After several years of not having one seed sprouting, this year I've tried something new and all the seeds sprouted. I've now got 57 and they are still coming. Don't know what I'm going to do with them all. I prepared a mixture of palm peat, perlite and compost, moistened. I planted the seeds all in the same tiny plastic tray with lid and put them in the veggie drawer of the fridge for 2 months, took them out and by accident left the tray in the rain for 24 hours, drained the water by punching a hole at the bottom of the tray and put it on a warm window sill. Could not believe my eyes when they started to sprout like mad.

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Carol! Yes, there are two more buds on that plant and several more plants with buds coming as well. They're all from Pookah so it must be a really vigorous and prolific bloomer, lol.

Rosynut, that's great news! I use seed starter soil but mine usually germinate in the refrigerator while I'm stratifying them. I just transfer the tiny roots into the tray then watch them grow!

• Kippy
    10 years ago

How fun! Glad you got them and I could have easily lost your email. I am floating between 4 different devices to pick up mail and I often wonder just how much I miss and how much I get....lol

I hope that by next year things have slowed down enough for me to play with some open pollinated hips

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just let some hips ripen, Kippy. Even if you can't get to them right away they'll still be good. I've used hips that were a couple of years old. Even mushy and moldy the seeds inside were still good.

It did open a little more today.

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

Oh wow!!! Just love it!! Hybridizing is so much fun!!
    Carol

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Carol!

I've had two more bloom. One very similar to this and a much paler one.