Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A rose from Valentine's Day is growing new leaves

Posted by new_bee NoVa (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 12, 09 at 16:23

I have a very special rose sitting in a vase on my kitchen window sill that I would love to turn into a planting, if that is at all possible. I found out we were pregnant with baby #2 on Valentine's Day and DH bought me a dozen roses to celebrate. The roses were very pretty and I enjoyed them for about a week and a half. After they started to wilt, I took the vase over to the sink to throw them out and as I did, I noticed that one pink rose had started to grow new leaves and branches! In all of my years of getting commercial roses, I have never seen one sprout new growth (every time I see more new growth on that stem, I think of the new life growing in my body too.)

Is there anything I can do to grow my rose? I would really hate to see it die...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A rose from Valentine's Day is growing new leaves

If your rose made leaves there's a good chance it will work. Mine go into a one gallon clean plastic pot that I've drilled extra large holes all over the bottom, cover with a coffee filter, a bit of plant charcoal, and I use a mix of Supersoil planting mix, low in fertilizer, mixes with Cactus and Succulant mix. You just do not want any fertilizers maybe for a year or until real growth begins. The leaves might brown and fall off but if the branches look healthy that's the best trick. Before you put the branch in the moistened dirt cut the lower thorns off and any lower branches and put in just a drip of Rootone. Sounds like a lot of ingredients but you'll use all this for other experiments again and again..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here