Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When is the best time to apply fertilizer?

Posted by shelia--greenthumb 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 23, 09 at 16:27

Hi,
When is the best time to apply fertilizer to the
roses? My roses have leaves on them now.
Thanks for your advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When is the best time to apply fertilizer?

My experience with cuttings and I've had many successes is that when the leaves form they still have no real roots so it's best to not overwater and just leave them alone. I have two large cuttings now in the ground for over a year just going into their first bloom since planting and they've had no real fertilizer other than that which might have come from other plants. Let the plant tell you when it is thirsty. Those new leaves if mothered too much will drop off add usually that might be the end of the plant. I have three pencil sized cuttings in gallon pots, partial sun, haven't had to water them in three weeks when they were planted and I'm seeing the red growth now forming along the stems.
Last few years I've been taking much larger cuttings, quarter sized from older plants with huge accuracy. When I first started from cuttings in my heart couldn't throw out a single branch and I learned that isn't always the best but as roses get older they actually form a whole new plant on the top that you can cut off and plant and get tremendous success. It's a fun game playing a scientist so have fun. I've seen roses unkept in vacant houses for ovewr a year that look nasty but are still growing fine so don't worry !!!

o
RE: When is the best time to apply fertilizer?

Debbie - Your post says that you have used quarter size cuttings. I have rarely seen a first year cane that size much less even a second year cane except on my largest climbers and a few HTs that put out a 5' or 6' cane. Are you saying that is what you have used? How did you propagate such a cane - one thicker than your thumb - or did I misinterpret your comment? Just interested. Thanks. Nick

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here