Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gerry_wyomingpa

cold and seedlings?

gerry_wyomingpa
17 years ago

After tonight, the lows are supposed to be above freezing for the next three nights, 34 being the coldest of those. Would it be safe to put baby roses out in those temps, days to be in the 40's and 50's?

The spider mites have returned and I have given the seedlings a bath, but am thinking the cooler temperatures would also help. It will be a few weeks yet before I can start moving things from the cold frame to put these seedlings in, or I would just do that.

Any thoughts?

Gerry

Comments (5)

• michelle_co
    17 years ago

So, did you try it? How did it go? Any thoughts or ideas to share on the topic?

I have my two seedlings potted up. I am worried about the sun scorching them, as they are just starting to go outside for the day. It's supposed to be ~35 for the next few nights, I am tempted to leave them out. All the other roses (bands and bareroots) seem to really like the cool nights. They look so perky and fresh in the morning, unlike yours truly. Ha ha!

:-) Cheers,
    Michelle

• gerry_wyomingpa
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Michelle,

I did indeed try it, I am not sure about the evil mites, but it really did nothing to the aphids. I guess I knew the aphids might survive, as I have seen them outdoors after cold weather, but I am hoping it slowed them down a bit.

As for the roses themselves, they seemed to like it. It was not in a spot with any sun but I swear the put out new growth, I think I know right where to put them for hardening off this year, now just need to think of a place to grow them out, there are more than 50 of the little buggers!

Gerry

• michelle_co
    17 years ago

Wow, that's a lot of roses to grow out. I should be glad that I only have two sprouts.

Yeah, the aphids don't mind cold. They were perfectly happy in my coldframe all winter (nights to 28 deg.). Sorry to say!

My sprouts were outside today and they seemed to grow an inch, too (doubled their size). Or maybe it's the espresso grinds in their potting mix. ;-)

I'd put them in the coldframe, but a squirrel has started using it as a salad bar. It's always something... SIGH!!!

Cheers,
    Michelle

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    17 years ago

Check the forecast for tomorrow night. If it holds up, we are getting cold.

About ten years ago, we did the totally swamped with baby roses thing. It took something like three or four years to get rid of them all, and I've done very little rooting since then. Make sure you have them labelled well. We had trouble with squirrels pulling out the tags, and the pen fading. They can stay in gallon pots for a while so long as they are kept watered. We couldn't have lived without the baby pool. So much that we ended up with two of them. One for the plants, and another for the baby.

• gerry_wyomingpa
    Original Author
    17 years ago

mad_gallica,

It did get cold again, and then warm again, so I put them back out, looks like I need to bring them in again tonight tho as it is going to be 30. Soon.....I know it will warm up soon!

Gerry

Sponsored
Elegant Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
VA & DC's Finest General Contractor