Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
desertdance

First Cuttings in ground. Have Questions.

We were unable to bring a few of my roses to our new home, so I took cuttings. We planted them straight up and down in dirt and marked them with a stick.

Today we had to move 3 of them to plant a citrus tree. I was amazed to see shoots on one with no roots, and roots on the other two.

They were easy to move, very green, and they have been watered in their new spots.

Once shoots appear, should we move them to a permanent location? Will they be the same rose as the plant from which they were taken?

Sorry for my ignorance. New at this!

Suzi

Comments (7)

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

I wouldn't keep moving them about. Give them some time to build an adequate root ball before moving them again. Every time you move them, no matter how careful you are, you lose some roots and these little ones don't have many roots yet and you could kill them.

The one that has shoots and no roots may not take. Roses store energy in their canes and sometimes they'll use that energy to produce leaves instead of roots when you do cuttings. But leave it alone because it may still develop roots.

Yes, if these are cuttings from your roses they will be the same roses you had at your old home. Rooting cuttings or grafting buds from one rose on to a root stock are the two ways to propagate roses to be true to the variety. Roses grown from seeds are not going to be the same variety., except for a few wild (species) roses that do grow true from seed. All other roses from seed are each one their own new rose variety.

Please keep us posted on how your roses do!

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you! I couldn't see them, so I had no idea if they were dead or alive. We have a vineyard. and we put cuttings at the ends of the rows.

Roses are very important to vineyards. They are the "canary in the mine shaft." They show disease or pests first, so you know when to spray the vineyard.

We also put cuttings elsewhere for their pure beauty.

I will post photos when they begin to show growth.

Thanks for your answers!

Suzi

Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a photo of the first one to pop up out of the ground:

Another one has also sprouted but it's a hike down the hill, and I'll just get a photo of that one at a later date. Fingers crossed they all grow.

Suzi

• roseseek
    10 years ago

No, I wouldn't try moving them. It is possible what you're seeing is growth spurred by the stored energy in the cutting and there are no roots. It's also possible there are small roots forming which you could destroy by digging it up. The old method of pushing cuttings in the ground under the mother plant included not moving the newly rooted cuttings for the first year, giving them time to form a good root ball. Next year, you might try doing all this in nursery cans so you can move them more easily.

If you're interested, here is my blog where I show you how to use the "Burrito Method" of propagation. There is a bit before what you did, then potting them deeply (not quite as deeply as you did) until growth and roots appear. Start at the link and read forward to glean all that's been discovered so far. It might give you another tool to use to propagate what you want. Good luck! Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Burrito Method for wrapping cuttings

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks!

The burrito method failed me once, but it was probably my fault. I love propagating figs, and they always work by just laying the cuttings in a trench outside in partial sun. I used the rose method that I did above with olive and grape cuttings and there was no problem.

If my little roses are viable, will they bloom this year? I will not move them until they are dormant. Too bad I didn't start them in containers... I will the next batch. They are smack in the middle of a walking path to my favorite fig tree!!

Blooms this year I hope!

Suzi

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Yes, if they have rooted they should bloom this year. However, you may want to pinch off any buds that show up so the plant will concentrate it's energies into growing more roots instead of blooms.

• roseseek
    10 years ago

You're welcome Suzi, whatever works! Kim

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!