Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you have to stratisfy Rugosa seeds?

Posted by stephaniesgarden 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 13, 09 at 18:48

I just got my Rugosa Seeds in. I live in FL and here is the middle of march. The seller sent me 50 of 4 different varieties including Red Japanese, White Japanese, Father Hugo and Father David. One piece of paper said to stratisfy 3-4 months and the other said 90 Days!!! Do I really have to do it that long? If I started now it would be mid- June before I could plant them...then they start to germinate in July/August...wouldn't that be to close to the next cold season? What should I do?

Do I have to stratisfy for a full 3 months?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you have to stratisfy Rugosa seeds?

The short answer is yes. I had over 800 Rugosa seeds from three different plants last fall. I gave them a warm treatment at room temp for 60 days and then a cold treatment in the fridge. None of the seeds germinated during the warm treatment and the earliest ones started germinating after about 6 or 7 weeks in the fridge. The later ones took between10 to 14 weeks in the fridge. I have some seeds that are just now germinating and they have been in the fridge since Dec 1st.

I would recommend at least a 30 day warm treatment, but you may want split the seeds and try half with warm treatment and half without.

I am going to assume that the Red Japanese is R.rugosa "Rubra" and that the White Japanese is R.rugosa "Alba". But if Father Hugo is the rose Im thinking of, its not a Rugosa its an R.hugonis. Is it yellow? Neither is Father David, it is an R.davidii. They will be very different roses than the Rugosas and they will not repeat bloom. Check them out on Help Me Find Roses. I would treat the seeds the same anyway.

Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: Father Hugo's Rose

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here