Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Who knew it would grow this fast?

Posted by annececilia z4b/North.Mich. (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 14, 06 at 19:34

This is for anyone who has started a rambler from a cutting. I had a little 6" cutting that I took last fall from an unknown rambling rose (3" trunk and over 15' tall) and it rooted in oasis over winter. Last month, this baby sent up a new cane next to the orginal cutting. And in the last 4 weeks, it has grown about a foot a week - that's right, it is now over 4' tall!! I have it staked in the pot already but it is definately too early to be thinking about moving it out of doors here - it is still wintry with lows in the teens. What does one do with a big rose like this...I mean, it's like caring for a baby giraffe, LOL. I thought of looping the cane around or spiraling it, but I'm not sure what is best. Anyone had experience propagating rampant growers and what do you do with them until it's time for them to move into their permanent home?
Thanks,
Anne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Who knew it would grow this fast?

• Posted by elks US5, Can6b (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 16, 06 at 6:26

Keep repotting it. What else can you do? Here, a little SE of you in London, ON, you could plant it now, but you'll have to wait. It won't be long, before you can plant it I mean.
Steve.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here