Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tny78

A Couple of Questions...

TNY78
12 years ago

I have three quick questions, that I can't seem to find the answers for. I've begun to try and root quite a few cuttings, and I'm hoping I'm doing it correctly :)

1) Is it easier to root thicker cuttings on more established wood, or the newer very thin canes?

2) Should I remove the leaves from the cuttings, or leave them on?

3) When I'm scarring the bottom of the cutting, should I only remove the "skin" on one side, or all the way around?

Thanks as always :)

Tammy

Comments (3)

• roseseek
    12 years ago

Hi Tammy, the correct answers mainly depend upon whether they're soft wood or hard wood, and what method you're using.

If you're using bottles or baggies with spent flowering stems, you'll probably have better, faster luck with thinner than really thick and you'd want to leave the top set of leaves on them.

If you're wrapping them, it works best for me to use thicker, older, harder wood and remove all of the foliage.

When I propagated cuttings under mist as a Huntington volunteer, I'd take a single edged razor blade and scrape through the bark to the cambium. I usually did it several times around the cane and most of the time, roots formed from most of the exposed sections of cambium. You really don't HAVE to scarify (expose the cambium) but it can help. This is a shot of cuttings I unwrapped this afternoon and they weren't scarified. You can see how the exposed edge of the cambium from the cut formed a great deal of callus, which will then develop roots.

It doesn't mean you can't or that it couldn't help, you just don't have to. I hope it helps. Kim

• TNY78
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Kim. That helps me a lot!

The method I'm using is putting the cuttings into clear plastic cups with a 50/50 mix of potting soil & perlite. Then, they are going into my mini-greenhouses. The first couple I potted went into 1g containers, but then I read your post regarding Jen's Granada, so I switched to the clear plastic cups. I can't wait to see roots forming...at least I hope so :) I have baggies over some, even though they are in the greenhouse, just to see what I have better luck with...

So far these are the one's I'm trying to root...any that you've heard are a bear?

CL Cecile Brunner
    SdlM
    Ispahan
    Marie Pavie
    April Moon
    The Alchymist
    PomPon de Paris
    Abraham Darby
    Tamora
    Anneka Doorenbos

Then, I've taking cutting off of my own Compte de Chambord which I bought grafted, and has never done well, so I'm trying to breathe some new life in to it.

And some Ballerina just to practice :)

• roseseek
    12 years ago

You're welcome, Tammy. I'd think the covered ones in the greenhouse would be overkill. The greenhouse would maintain the humidity. I hope the bags don't retain too much causing them to rot.

Just from the plant types, I would expect Marie Pavie, Pompon de Paris, and Ballerina to be the fastest and easiest to root, with Ballerina being the MOST successful. It's mainly multiflora and that mess roots like weeds!

The others, who knows? Much would depend upon the condition they went into "winter" in. I know April Moon usually roots easily. It will be interesting seeing your results. Good luck! Kim

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH