Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
konrad___far_north

Black currant cuttings?

Konrad___far_north
11 years ago

Have you propagated these?..
I have taken some cuttings and put into a planting mix, plastic bag,.. how much of a succesrate I will have?
How warm or cold should I keep them?

Comments (6)

• overdrive
    11 years ago

black currant easily propagates by cuttings, such as hardwood cuttings. i have not done other kinds, but these bushes are a snap to propagate.

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That's good news, overdrive.
    Any enlightenment on the procedure?

• overdrive
    11 years ago

it looks like ur from edmonton, so these are hardwood cuttings, basically. so i would just keep them in the fridge and check back in middle of June, hopefully there will be callus by then, and if you plant them in a spot that gets a bit of sun, but not too much, then hope for the roots to sprout and buds to open. that's what i would do. make sure they are in a sealed baggie in the fridge.

• tkopari
    11 years ago

I propagated them last summer from semi-hardwood cuttings in June and July. I used Dip 'n Grow at a 1:10 dilution, if I'm remembering correctly (time to start a log book). I rooted them in sand in my little greenhouse that has a misting system that's on for one minute every ten minutes. I had very good success, perhaps 75%.

Tony

This post was edited by tkopari on Wed, Apr 17, 13 at 12:52

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all!
    Yes, it's hardwood.
    Had a hunch to keep it in the fridge but keep it outside now,...it probably shoots out and die,..I'll try the next batch in the fridge.

Have cut a few other cuttings with a little of the old wood attached,...as I have seen in a you tube video, he then just planted them in the ground. I placed mine in a bag and try at room temperature.

Had a hard time to find this thread [twice], but found it on Google, didn't know I put it on the rose propagation, I was going to put on the plant propagation, ...I'm pretty sure you guy's know it all anyway.

Tony, ..you did very well!
    can you buy a little mister propagation greenhouse or have you build it yourself?

• tkopari
    10 years ago

I'm not sure if you can buy a little greenhouse outfitted with misters. I built my greenhouse out of PVC pipe (1 1/2 or 2") and attached Dura Skrim plastic sheeting with this black plastic strip that I can't remember the name of, nor find online at the moment. I used 3/4 or 1" PVC pipe to make the misting system. The actual misters are Netafim brand misters. I bought a timer that has a customizable misting cycle. I don't think the exact model is available any longer, but I'll post the model number tonight from home.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!