Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rooting in water

Posted by natalie4b 8-GA (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 14, 07 at 7:50

One of the canes got broken as I transported a hybrid tea rose (Mr.Lincoln) from the nursery. Will it root in water? Should I add anything to speed up the process?
Thanks!
~Natalie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rooting in water

There is an entire forum dedicated to rose propagation, and I've linked a couple of articles. It *might* root in water, but eventually you'll want to get it into some kind of potting medium. Many people use rooting hormones, others dissolve an aspirin in water and use that solution. The "pop bottle" method has worked for me in the past, but some swear by the "baggie" method. In any case, your cane may or may not root, but it is worth a try.

Utterly confused about rooting rose cuttings

Here is a forum member's web page on how she does it using pop bottles: my webpage on rooting roses.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Rose Rustler's Toolkit by Mel Hulse

o
Duh....

I thought I was in a different forum when I mentioned the Rose Propagation forum, we are already here! Tired today and I just dig a thorn tip out of my thumb, sorry! But, the articles I linked to have good info.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 14, 07 at 23:44

I've never been successful with rooting in water but some people have. Keep the water fresh--one way you can do this is to get a $5 aquarium pump and an airstone and put that in the water--it keeps the water filled with oxygen, so it doesn't get yucky.

o

Thank you Diane and Hoovb for your advice. Great info! I am a very enthusiastic newby rose grower. Even my neighbors mentioned that our yard begins to look like a botanical garden. That was my intention!
~Natalie

o

A few types will root in water. I have had ~75% success with BR Cant in water on a sunny windowsill. Its just trial and error.

o

I see no roots yet, though the new growth appeared on top. I change water daily. Will it help to add rooting hormone to water, or I will need use the special soil mix?

o

Not sure I can answer all of those. I used regular water, and did change it every now and then to keep the algae out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here