Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Saving transplanted rose!! help

Posted by slickwattz z5 NY (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 25, 09 at 9:05

my friend gave me 2 pink knockout roses which i transplanted into containers that get full sun last weekend. i used root stimulator (didnt prune) but the leaves wilted and tops of branches are wilting. The soil has been moist and it rained earlier this week, so there is no chance the soil is bad or dry.

since its sposed to be hot this weekend i pulled them out and soaked them in water with more root stimulator overnight. still wilted...

any suggestions on what to do next? i want to save them....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Saving transplanted rose!! help

First, where are they coming from that they are fully leafed out? Were they out of the ground for a while?

Put them back in the pots. Put the pots in the shade, or even better, a cool basement for this heatwave. Put the pots in saucers of water. Ignore them for a few days.

o

yes, full leaves on the entire plant and starting to bud.

they were in the ground and transplanted later the same day.

i now have them sitting in a tub of water with root stimulator.

should i give a pruning to the base of the new growth.

also, my friend handed the plants over with no soil just the roots. it looks the most of the roots are intact.

thanks

o

• Posted by elks US5, Can6b (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 26, 09 at 8:10

The leaves are gone, but all is not lost. I'm unsure whether the root stimulator is of much use.

When transplanting a bare-root plant, it is necessary to cut back the top growth because the root structure cannot support it. Plant the rose and cover the canes so that they are protected. Water it well on planting, and on the other roses schedule thereafter. Presuming you have not stressed the plant too much already with too much fussing, it should leaf out again in a month.

Don't worry,

Steve.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here